Slow query performance advice

• I've got this slow running query that performs very poorly, or at least that's what my SQL Server monitor is saying:

It definitely taking most of the "Top slowest queries" list (same query on this list):

Query plan:

Execution Count: 1
    Avg execution time (ms): 42411
    Avg CPU time: 42363
    Avg I/O per sec: 0
    Avg physical reads: 0
    Avg logical reads: 666724
    Avg logical writes: 0
    Total execution time (ms): 42411.423

SELECT
            Duplicates.ContributorId,
            Duplicates.DateId,
            Contributors.PensionNo,
            Contributors.LastName + ', ' + Contributors.FirstName AS FullName,
            Calendar.Date,
            Calendar.Week,
            WeeklyPayments.PostingId
        FROM
            (
            SELECT
                Calendar.DateId,
                Conts.ContributorId
            FROM Calendar INNER JOIN
            (SELECT
                Contributors.ContributorId
            FROM Contributors
                WHERE Contributors.PensionNo IN (31725,31761,20204,30829,33382)
                ) Conts ON 1 = 1
                WHERE [Year] = 2016 AND [Week] BETWEEN 5 AND 9
            INTERSECT
            SELECT
                WeeklyPayments.DateId,
                WeeklyPayments.ContributorId
            FROM
                WeeklyPayments
            ) Duplicates
        INNER JOIN Contributors ON Duplicates.ContributorId = Contributors.ContributorId
        INNER JOIN Calendar ON Duplicates.DateId = Calendar.DateId
        INNER JOIN WeeklyPayments ON Duplicates.DateId = WeeklyPayments.DateId AND Duplicates.ContributorId = WeeklyPayments.ContributorId

Generally I get alerts over non indexed tables so I can improve the performance of the query but not in this case.
    I'm not well versed on performance tuning so I though of asking for advice on this arena. What can I try to improve the performance of this query? Where to start looking and such?

Cheers

UPDATE:

Attached .sqlplan

CONTRIBUTORS

CALENDAR

WEEKLYPAYMENTS

My stack: VS2015 ~ C# ~ MSSQL 2014[/url] ~ DevCraft ~ ReSharper ~ DataGrip ~ Linqer[/url]

• Your SQL Server monitor should give plenty of interesting information, such as wait stats, from which you may be able to work out what was causing your query to run slowly.  We need the actual execution plan, please (not the estimated plan and not just a picture of it).  What are the max degree of parallelism and cost threshold for parallelism on your server?

John

• Can you capture the actual execution plan in ssms and post it as a .sqlplan file attachment please?
    The query looks overengineered.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Also, check the output of this against your original. It's likely to be different.

SELECT

wp.ContributorId,

wp.DateId,

conts.PensionNo,

conts.LastName + ', ' + conts.FirstName AS FullName,

cal.Date,

cal.Week,

wp.PostingId

FROM Calendar cal

INNER JOIN WeeklyPayments wp

ON wp.DateId = cal.DateId

INNER JOIN Contributors conts

ON Conts.ContributorId = wp.ContributorId

WHERE conts.PensionNo IN (31725,31761,20204,30829,33382)

AND cal.[Year] = 2016

AND cal.[Week] BETWEEN 5 AND 9

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Can you post table definitions and index definitions of the involved tables, as well as the actual execution plan please?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Added table definitions, sqlplan and suggested query sqlplan. Same output btw, in no time, will need to check this a bit further later on...

Suggested NONCLUSTERED index speeds up the query from almost a minute to miliseconds.

CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX Duplicated_Payments_Query ON dbo.WeeklyPayments (ContributorId) INCLUDE (PostingId, DateId)

Although I totally agree the query is poorly engineered and will not stick around...

My stack: VS2015 ~ C# ~ MSSQL 2014[/url] ~ DevCraft ~ ReSharper ~ DataGrip ~ Linqer[/url]

• Thanks.
    Try this - which gets rid of some implicit conversions:

SELECT

wp.ContributorId,

wp.DateId,

conts.PensionNo,

conts.LastName + ', ' + conts.FirstName AS FullName,

cal.Date,

cal.Week,

wp.PostingId

FROM Calendar cal

INNER JOIN WeeklyPayments wp

ON wp.DateId = cal.DateId

INNER JOIN Contributors conts

ON Conts.ContributorId = wp.ContributorId

WHERE conts.PensionNo IN (

'31725','31761','20204','30829','33382','32436','10926','33321','30202','11523','35801','20159','32357','35752',

'30160','11687','32243','32654','34602','20341','35886','34274','35456','34949','35018','10844','32434','35325','35458','35318','35723','10800')

AND cal.[Year] = '2016'

AND cal.[Week] BETWEEN 5 AND 9

• Index definitions for the involved tables?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply