slow enterprise manager

• My enterprise manager has started going extremely slow especially when reading databases and tables. Anybody know any reasons for a sudden change?

I havent changed anything on the server and have tried rebooting the server.

• no nothing. Its really puzzling me because Its come out of the blue. Everything was fine a few hours ago

• Check this out

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26617

Shas3

• Slow EM opening of the database tree is a known problem (at least to people in my company). The problem is isolated to workstation and it gets worse in time so it may take 10 minutes to open database tree of about 100 databases. I haven't tried this yet, but one of my colegues reported that response of EM turned back to normal after SQL Service Pack install.

Please let us know if it helps.

• I have had this happen on 2 machines I have. In both cases it is te machines with .NET framework installed just before problem began. Have not had time to test on another machine but none of the machines operating normally have .NET framework installed. Could be coinsidence or it set something off related to my machines setup.

• Go to Microsoft site and Download the last version of Mdac_typ.exe

• We had this problem in our enterprise also - it turned out that a majority of the databases had AUTO-CLOSE set to ON. This causes Enterprise Manager to open and close each database in turn when reading the list of databases. For every database that had the auto-close set to on, it took an additional 10-15 seconds to open. We had 50 databases on the server and it was taking about 5 minutes to open the EM tree. When we turned off all the Auto-Close flags on each of the databases, it opened in about 3 seconds. Now I have a script which checks all the databases and emails me when ANY of the databases have the AUTO-CLOSE flag set to on. The only reason to have it set this way is if you have a very large database which you use VERY infrequently and are worried about database server memory. In my opinion, this flag shouldn't even exist. Hope this helps!

• Have you tried running a profiler trace while using EM? You can also run the non-intrusive queries that are presented in the trace from QA and see if you get the same perf.

This won't fix anything, but may offer clues as to what is going on.

• Same here: just after .NET framework along with VS Studio.NET were installed, EM became slower. This particular one also connects to both SQL7 and SQL2000, but that's pretty normal.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply