Slow Database Backup & Restore

• Hi All

We are facing slow backup & restore database backup issue

SQL sevrer 2005 express Edition on windos sevrer 2003 with 4 GB of RAM & DB Size is 3.8 GB as per Express edition limit of 4 GB

Now days we are facing that our backup & restore of Database is very slow compasion to earliers days , Even backup are on local disk.

We have done defragementation on OS & Database level also but no success

what would be the reason ? could somebody help regaring this issue ?

Thanks

Ghanshyam

• Need more information. Perhaps you can implement the trace flags here: http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/Content.aspx?p=SQL%20Backup&c=knowledgebase\SQL_Backup\KB200806000267.htm

and post resulting logs

• maybe the amount of data in your database is growing and therefore the backups are taking longer?

What do you call slow?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• does your server have a lot of free space? if it does not, it might be taking a long time trying to find 3.8 gig of space to restore the backup; it want's everything as contiguous as possible, of course.. that happens on my dev machine all the time, and i have to free up space to improve the performance.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• gupta1282 (4/28/2010)

what would be the reason ? could somebody help regaring this issue ?

So hard to tell , a lot of reasons

1 Disk Slowness

2 taking backup on remote drive.

3 back end process running on sametime.

4 Memory shortage.

5 heavy database.

Refer below link. http://www.sql-server-performance.com/tips/backup_restore_tuning_p2.aspx

Are you takiing differential backup also ?

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply