Skill Supply and Demand

• emmchild (6/25/2015)

Check out http://www.meetup.com/pg_atl/. Everyone one is encouraged to contribute. It's really a good mix of newbies and seasoned veterans. A site that encouraged that same sort of participation would be awesome.

Making it easier for others: http://www.meetup.com/pg_atl/.

• Jeff Moden (6/23/2015)

TomThomson (6/23/2015)

If that had happened on a large scale we would still be using hierarchic and network databases not relational.

Heh... it did happen on a large scale and we are using hierarchic junk all over the place... it's called "XML". :sick:

Or a non-trivial proportion of NO-SQL

Even one of the more (as in not very at all) popular 'OO' database systems (Graph?) which was basically a wrapper round Mumps

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• Jeff Moden (6/24/2015)

TheComedian (6/24/2015)

Labour shortage is a myth. Offer a very good salary (I'm talking 6 figures) and then you'll see how many great applicants you'll get.

....None of them, save one, have been able to come even close to properly describing a Clustered index .....

Sorry, cant resist.

"Clustered" is the collective noun of a group of indexes 😛

• Jeff Moden (6/25/2015)

... one of them even told me that he'd never worked with clustered indexes before because he'd never had to work with clustered servers before.

Did you hire him?

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• You can find equal numbers of SQL Server versus Oracle developers, and the same goes for C# versus Java developers. Also in terms of features they are similar. However, the decision of what BI reporting tool to choose (SSRS, Tableau, Crystal, Cognos, Actuate, Qlikview, etc. etc. etc.) is one area where you can really get bogged down in debates about features in relation to the size of the local talent pool.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• andrew gothard (6/26/2015)

Jeff Moden (6/25/2015)

... one of them even told me that he'd never worked with clustered indexes before because he'd never had to work with clustered servers before.

Did you hire him?

Heh... no, but I referred him to the same company where a "developer" told me that he had to put a CLR into the system because SQL had no hopes of doing such a thing and it was holding up his project. It was a CLR to calculate modulus.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (7/3/2015)

andrew gothard (6/26/2015)

Jeff Moden (6/25/2015)

Did you hire him?

Heh... no, but I referred him to the same company where a "developer" told me that he had to put a CLR into the system because SQL had no hopes of doing such a thing and it was holding up his project. It was a CLR to calculate modulus.

Uh, %, as in 2 % 3 = 2.

• Lynn Pettis (7/4/2015)

Jeff Moden (7/3/2015)

andrew gothard (6/26/2015)

Jeff Moden (6/25/2015)

Did you hire him?

Uh, %, as in 2 % 3 = 2.

And these are the types of companies that need people like us but aren't willing to work with remote workers. Task based work with reasonable deadlines and appropriate access (VPN) to corporate resources to accomplish the tasks.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply