Simulate Complete Server Crash

• Steve Jones - Editor (2/9/2009)

Perry has a great idea. Get a network number (like 192.168.25.0) that isn't in use on your real network, and assign all the VMs network addresses on this range. They'll communicate and not affect other clients.

Steve, thats my point. Use the same ip addresses and names if you want. You create a virtual network inside the chosen virtual infra structure that mirrors your live environment. As long as no VM has a virtual NIC that connects to the "Outside world" (i.e. all VM's are connected to the same virtual switch with 1 virtual NIC), your golden 😉

Steve, this is something i plan to cover in another article. Do you think it would be useful?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• I was thinking more along the lines of disaster recovery, and not just testing the restore part of DR. The poster mentioned how the applications would connect after a recovery and if each application had to be repointed to the new server.

I'm not sure if VM meets the need of production recovery, but I'll qualify that with I haven't worked with VMWare.

• Steve

yes i read into it that he just wants to test and sanitise the actual restore processes required so if he ever has to do it for real he'll have it nailed and not fumble for hours wondering what to do next. VM's are a great way to do this in isolation

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• So far so good.

I had a dns alias put up and pointed it to the main server.

I stopped the primary's services and brought up a test secondary that was getting the logs shipped to it. Once I did a Recovery restore it came right up!

I had to flush the dns on the machine that had the application, but after that it connected no problems. Very neat.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply