Simple select by max date

• Hello, I know there are many ways to return data based on the max date. I have data in which there are many records with various dates and I just want to return the person_id and seq_no with the max create_timestamp. Here is some sample data.

person_id seq_no create_timestamp

786B5EA3-53BA-4527-8C4A-8CFB741AB95078162065-3530-4000-BCE2-EC80C74075115/15/2012 15:28:01

786B5EA3-53BA-4527-8C4A-8CFB741AB95094141C29-2865-4678-99BE-EBDB46D36B065/15/2012 14:57:12

786B5EA3-53BA-4527-8C4A-8CFB741AB950EBB8CB78-D5AC-40AB-93D5-092C49D09B9F4/3/2012 15:52:07

786B5EA3-53BA-4527-8C4A-8CFB741AB95013F02E94-5081-4F51-9496-674FE51B90014/2/2012 11:01:42

786B5EA3-53BA-4527-8C4A-8CFB741AB950C0E88E27-F268-48A3-979B-25AA057BAE8E4/1/2012 11:12:56

786B5EA3-53BA-4527-8C4A-8CFB741AB9509404B33D-928D-45C4-A0D7-4FD2202B76B13/14/2012 10:46:53

• Try this with the appropriate change for your table.

WITH BaseData AS (

SELECT

person_id,

seq_no,

created_timestamp,

ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY person_id ORDER BY created_timestamp DESC) rn

FROM

dbo.yourtablehere

)

SELECT

person_id,

seq_no,

created_timestamp

FROM

BaseData

WHERE

rn = 1;

• Perfect. Thank you!

David

• Can this be used in a stored procedure? I am trying to use the following and getting an error:

WITH BaseData AS (

SELECT

person_id,

seq_no,

create_timestamp,

completedDate,

apptDate,

actrecurtimeinterv,

ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY person_id ORDER BY create_timestamp DESC) rn

FROM

dbo.order_

WHERE

actmood = 'RMD'

AND recommendedReason = 'Protocols'

)

SELECT

person_id,

seq_no,

create_timestamp,

completedDate,

apptDate,

actrecurtimeinterv

INTO #ordProtData

FROM

BaseData

WHERE

rn = 1;

I am getting the following error when trying to compile my proc:

Msg 156, Level 15, State 1, Procedure SP_CR_HM_Update_dates_new, Line 77

Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'AS'.

Alone this statement runs perfect.

Thank you,

David

• One requirement of a CTE is the previous line must end with a semicolon. As such many people have developed the habit of beginning a cte that way.

;with cte as...

Try putting the semicolon in front of your with and it will likely solve that.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (6/14/2012)

One requirement of a CTE is the previous line must end with a semicolon. As such many people have developed the habit of beginning a cte that way.

;with cte as...

Which actually means terminate the statement prior to the WITH using the semicolon. CTE's don't start with a statement terminator.

• Sean Lange (6/14/2012)

One requirement of a CTE is the previous line must end with a semicolon. As such many people have developed the habit of beginning a cte that way.

;with cte as...

Not all statements prior to a CTE require termination with a semicolon. Some will work without it. So I usually put it before the WITH to avoid one more error when developing the SQL.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• Worked perfect. Thank you!

David

• dwain.c (6/14/2012)

Sean Lange (6/14/2012)

;with cte as...

Not all statements prior to a CTE require termination with a semicolon. Some will work without it. So I usually put it before the WITH to avoid one more error when developing the SQL.

The statement before the CTE may work without the semicolon, but the CTE requires that the previous statement be terminated with a semicolon. As more enhancements are added to SQL Server that require that the statement beterminated with a semicolon (MERGE for example) and others that require that the previous statement be terminated with a semicolon, it just makes sense to get in the habit of terminating all statements with a semicolon.

• Lynn Pettis (6/14/2012)

dwain.c (6/14/2012)

Sean Lange (6/14/2012)

;with cte as...

The statement before the CTE may work without the semicolon, but the CTE requires that the previous statement be terminated with a semicolon. As more enhancements are added to SQL Server that require that the statement beterminated with a semicolon (MERGE for example) and others that require that the previous statement be terminated with a semicolon, it just makes sense to get in the habit of terminating all statements with a semicolon.

Lynn - You may be right as the message produced is:

Msg 319, Level 15, State 1, Line 9

Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'with'. If this statement is a common table expression, an xmlnamespaces clause or a change tracking context clause, the previous statement must be terminated with a semicolon.

I could have sworn I've had cases where it wasn't required prior to the CTE but since I always include the semicolon nowadays, I'm at a loss to recall when that was.

Your advice to get into the habit of terminating all statements with a semicolon is sound, its just that old habits die hard.:-)

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply