Simple Recovery Model and Checkpoint

• Good morning Experts,

Checkpoint writes all dirty pages to disk. So, in simple recovery model, does checkpoint truncate only committed transactions or does it truncate both committed and uncommitted transactions

• Checkpoint marks VLFs that are not needed for anything (replication, transactions, full backups, etc) as reusable.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster - Friday, August 11, 2017 1:09 AM

Checkpoint marks VLFs that are not needed for anything (replication, transactions, full backups, etc) as reusable.

I did not understand Gail.

• What, specifically, did you not understand in that statement?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster - Friday, August 11, 2017 3:30 AM

What, specifically, did you not understand in that statement?

does checkpoint truncate only committed transactions or does it truncate both committed and uncommitted transactions?

• coolchaitu - Friday, August 11, 2017 8:34 AM

GilaMonster - Friday, August 11, 2017 3:30 AM

What, specifically, did you not understand in that statement?

does checkpoint truncate only committed transactions or does it truncate both committed and uncommitted transactions?

please answer if it truncates both or only committed....Both or only committed?

• I answered that.
    Before I waste time answering it again, please specify what, exactly, in my answer you did not understand?

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster - Friday, August 11, 2017 10:12 AM

I answered that.
    Before I waste time answering it again, please specify what, exactly, in my answer you did not understand?

Hi Gail,
    Thanks for replying. From your answer, I am unable to understand if checkpoint truncates both or only committed transactions. Could you please help me understand

• coolchaitu - Friday, August 11, 2017 10:20 AM

GilaMonster - Friday, August 11, 2017 10:12 AM

I answered that.

Hi Gail,
    Thanks for replying. From your answer, I am unable to understand if checkpoint truncates both or only committed transactions. Could you please help me understand

Checkpoint does neither.  It marks virtual log files that are not needed for anything (replication, transactions, full backups, etc.) as reusable.

• Ok, if you don't want to help me to help you understand.

Checkpoint marks VLFs, virtual log files, as reusable, if and only if they are not needed for database activity, including open transactions, database backups, replication, change data capture or a few other things.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster - Friday, August 11, 2017 3:23 PM

Ok, if you don't want to help me to help you understand.

Checkpoint marks VLFs, virtual log files, as reusable, if and only if they are not needed for database activity, including open transactions, database backups, replication, change data capture or a few other things.

HI Gail,
    According to BOL this is what CHECKPOINT does : "Writes all dirty pages for the current database to disk". 
    Does this mean checkpoint is writing from memory to mdf file? Please help me understand about the CHECKPOINT operation.

• coolchaitu - Friday, August 11, 2017 7:50 PM

"Writes all dirty pages for the current database to disk". 
    Does this mean checkpoint is writing from memory to mdf file?

Yup, exactly.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster - Saturday, August 12, 2017 3:59 AM

coolchaitu - Friday, August 11, 2017 7:50 PM

"Writes all dirty pages for the current database to disk". 
    Does this mean checkpoint is writing from memory to mdf file?

Yup, exactly.

Thanks a lot Gail

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply