Simple flat file query

• Hi,

I'm knocking up a simple flat file importer and I have a small problem with the destination table having 2 columns that are not populated from the file, but from lookup tables on the destination SQL Server DB. Not the trickiest problem but something I've not had to deal with before.

How do I populate these columns at the same time as bringing in the flat file data?

Cheers

• Use a Merge Join transformation in your data flow.

John

• Or run an Execute SQL 'UPDATE' at the end of the import.

You may also like to check the LOOKUP transformation.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I prefer running an Update via a stored procedure in the Execute SQL Task myself. Merge Join takes a lot of resources that I can better use in other areas of my package. I try not to use that transformation unless I absolutely have to.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply