Severe Error

• Msg 823, Level 24, State 2, Line 3

The operating system returned error 21(The device is not ready.) to SQL Server during a read at offset 0x0000d432f00000 in file 'G:\.mdf'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log and system event log may provide more detail. This is a severe system-level error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online.

Msg 0, Level 20, State 0, Line 0

A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded

• What were you attempting to do when you received the error?

Unless you removed the name you have an unnamed mdf file which is probably why you are having the problem.

• Did it really say file 'G:\.mdf' ??? Anyhow OS error 21 usually means that SQL server cannot access the disk. Check eventlog for any disk errors.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• I did restart my sql server, now that db is (In Recovery). what does that mean, what did it do?

• In recovery means that SQL Server tried to roll forward/back transactions that were not completed when the SQL Server was shut down and could not.

Is the mdf file actually named ".mdf"?

Is G:\ a local drive?

• Can you please post the contents of your error log? (it's a file just called errorlog, text file)

An 823 error is a hard IO error. It means SQL requested an IO be done and for some reason the OS said no. Usually it's faulty disks. Check the server event log and see if you have any hardware-related error messages. Check the RAID/SAN logs for the same.

Do you have a backup of this database?

Edit: From the format of that error, you're running SQL 2000. Please in the future post in the correct forums as, especially with corruption problems, the methods of resolution are very different between SQL 2000 and SQL 2005.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • the file is not names just.mdf, it has name.mdf file. i do have a back back. I am not sure all of a sudden y this error occured.

I can not see the error log as i just restarted and ma not running sql 200 , it is 2005.

thanks

• Mike Levan (12/3/2008)

I am not sure all of a sudden y this error occured.

You've got disk problems.

I can not see the error log as i just restarted.

It's a text file called ERRORLOG. Please search for it in the filesystem. It can be opened in notepad.

ma not running sql 200 , it is 2005.

Sorry, my mistake.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• 2008-12-03 00:00:06.68 spid15s This instance of SQL Server has been using a process ID of 2160 since 11/24/2008 5:25:12 AM (local) 11/24/2008 10:25:12 AM (UTC). This is an informational message only; no user action is required.

• And the error log from after the restart? When the DB went into recovery?

Does the G drive still exist? Can you see it, can you read files on it?

SQL's looking for 2 files on the G drive (G:\SQLData_Log\DCC_CA_Log.ldf and G:\SQLData_Data\DCC_CA.mdf) and it can't find them or can't open them. This is an OS-level problem, not one within SQL Server.

Gail Shaw

• yes i can read G drive perfectly. it looks fine

• Are the two files that SQL's looking for there?

And the error log after SQL restarted?

Are there any IO-related errors in the windows event log?

Gail Shaw

• Last night i had set up my jobs to rebuild indexex on the some db's, now the problem is only with those db's. once i restart the sql server all those db are in recovery mode. what is the reason?

• I've seen similar errors using an iSCSI cabinet. Every time a lot of IO activity occured like when doing index rebuilds we got intermittent IO errors. You should see some disk related error messages in the windows eventlog.

You should also contact your storage supplier. In some cases a firmware or driver update can fix the problem.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• Mike Levan (12/3/2008)

what is the reason?

No idea. Can you please post the information I asked for.

The latest error log (the one that was started after you restarted the server and shows the DBs not been recovered)

Are the two files that SQL's looking for on the G drive?

Are there any IO-related errors in the windows event log?

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply