Setup question - SQL Server 2008 hosting on a shared network, or dedicated server?

• Okay, I've spent the last couple of days pouring over SQL Server information. I'm new to it, having primarily worked with Access on a shared network (NAS).

I'm attempting to setup a SQL Server on a separate shared network as well, but having difficulties. I installed SQL Server 2008 onto my computer, but of course the database is setup on my computer. Even though I've been able to detach, move the database files to the shared network, and attach, of course when I shut down my computer the SQL server is down as well and inaccessible for other users. I only imagine that no more than 10 users would be accessing this database at any one time, and normally it would only be up to two.

So what are my options? I've thought about installing Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server onto my laptop, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about setting that up and my laptop is pretty horrible with only 1G of RAM and 1.8ghz processor. Is there a way to set the SQL Server up onto a network share so that even when my computer is off, the SQL Database can still be accessed? Or, while I'm still learning and unwilling to spend the money for an actual dedicated server or whatnot, would my best route be to use the laptop?

I've muddled through and gleaned a lot of information, but it's hard to find answers to the questions I have, or at least answers I can completely understand.

Thanks for any and all help you can provide!

• I would say you will need a dedicated box because SQL installs multiple services on the OS that would have to be installed by SQL Server for it to function. You can use your laptop for testing but like you said no one will be able to get to it when you shut your computer down.

• That's what I figured. Nice and simple answer. Thank you very much!

• Access to SQL Server is via connection to the SQL Server service, not a network share.

When the machine that hosts the service is down or unreachable, then there is no access to the databases, even if you managed to locate the database files on a network share.

Also, SQL Server will not allow you to put database files on a network share, unless you configure it to allow that.

• I realize that about database files on the network share - I've already configured it to allow that. I guess I was just hoping for an easy way out on the hosting side of things!

Thanks again

• You don't need a dedicated machine, but you need one up and running all the time. SQL is a service, like Exchange. Responds to network requests, sends data back and forth.

Access is a client, like Word. The program runs on the client machine, the data can be anywhere.

You can make the SQL Server files work like this, but only one person at a time would have access to them, and this is potentially a recipe for disaster.

Find a low use desktop or server and you can put SQL Server on that.

• Steve,

Thanks! One question I have, then, is if I use Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2008, with a maximum of 10 people accessing at a time, what specs would the desktop need to make sure the database performs adequately?

• That really depends on the size of the database and the frequently of accessing the data, you don't need much resources if it's a small database, 2 GB of memory will be more than enough.

• As mentioned, it's hard to say. I've had lots of SQL 2000 servers that ran on dedicated machines with 2GB or 4GB of RAM. SQLServerCentral served thousands of clients from the web with 4GB RAM and a 2 disk R5 array for years.

Depends on data sets, queries, data sizes, response time, etc. My thought is to get 4GB on a machine, maybe a file server or DC that isn't heavily used, and add SQL. See how it works. If it doesn't, you make another plan and move.

• Awesome - you guys have been way more helpful than any other place or person I've talked to. Thank you so much!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply