Setting/Viewing All Object-Level Permissions for a User/Group

• Hi everyone,

I have been using SQL Management Studio for a few years now. I've been content to set permissions at the database level, but I would really like to be able to view and edit permissions at the object level without having to open each object's permissions. This was easy to get to in SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager by viewing the properties of the user for that database and clicking on Permissions...

Is there a similar dialog available in SQL Management Studio?

Thanks

• Yes, but they make these things very hard to find in SQL 2005.

In SSMS, expand the "Security" folder, then the "Users" subfolder under it.

Right-click on the User whose permissions you want to manage and click "Properties".

On the "Database User" dialog, select the "Securables" page.

Then, under the "Securables" window, click "Add.." to select the objects' properties to view.

On the "Add Objects" dialog, select either "All Objects of Type" or "All Objects in Schema:", then select the object types or the schema of the objects that you want to manage.

A list of objects that you selected will be filled into the "Securables" pane. When you select one of these objects, the User's explicit permissions on that object appears in the "Explicit Permissions" pane below, and they can be edited there as well.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Awesome! I've seen that many times and wondered what it was. Thanks for filling in the blanks there.

• lee.vance (7/22/2008)

Awesome! I've seen that many times and wondered what it was. Thanks for filling in the blanks there.

Heh. You don't know how many times I saw this and said to myself "Add?!? I don't want to add securables, I just want to see this User's permissions!"

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply