(3,'Sat','A','X2','X1')

GO

Now if i do

Select * from tableA where name='Raj'

i will get the result set as

IDNameClassSUbject1subject2

1Raj A X1X2

2Raj B X3X4

Here from the result set i want to insert on row by row basis into the two tables TableB and Table C

like intially i will take first row and want to insert into Table B with values of X1 and X2 and take that value of ID in table B with scopeIdentity and insert into TableC with Raj and 1

Like from the above result set intially i should insert into TableB

So Table B will be like

1--X1--X2

Now i want to take that 1 value in table B and insert that to tableC likw

1--Raj--1

Again for the second row.

Sorry if i'm confusing you. I want to avoid using cursors. So how can i do that with set based operations.

• You do it with two separate queries. One to update table "B" and then another to update table "C".

You are thinking procedurally, not set-based, whenever you say you want to do something on a row-by-row basis.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• The other option is to use the OUTPUT clause to return ALL of the new IDs rather than just the LAST new ID that you would get with scope identity.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• TableA = TableB joined to TableC

This is, in my opinion, bad design. It's redundant. Tables B and C can always be derived from TableA and TableA can always be derived from B + C.

I would suggest figuring out what exactly it is you're trying to accomplish rather than focusing on how to do something that doesn't make sense in a set based fashion.

└> bt

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I assumed that Table A was a staging table of some kind and that the OP was trying to move data to Tables B and C.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Table A is a staging table and we are pulling data from that table to tableB and tableC

• @drew,

Thank you so much, can you explain me how i can do that with output clause as i never experienced that.

• drew.allen (11/9/2011)

The other option is to use the OUTPUT clause to return ALL of the new IDs rather than just the LAST new ID that you would get with scope identity.

Drew

So what do you do with the results of the OUTPUT? You do a second query to update "C". Unless of course the OUTPUT clause is enough by itself to be used as table C.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• I understand that is a pseudo staging table. Normally staging tables are used to take flat data and move it into a relational format. That's not going on here. This is merely splitting a table into two separate tables with a 1 to 1 "relationship" based on an irrelevant identity. All of the advantages of relational design are lost. Instead of wasting the time and storage splitting it, it would be more effective to replace TableB and TableC with views based on TableA.

A better option would be to implement true relational design.

└> bt

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• NO, you have garbage; Tables have keys and you do not. Tables ought to in at east First Normal Form and the garbage is not.

It may be a fact but may also an example of offensive language.

For SET operation, do we really neeed keys & normal forms?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply