Service Packs

• I recently inherited a couple of sql 2008 r2 servers. The builds on them are 10.50.1790.0 and 10.50.1600.1 I see that SP2 is available. Can I apply SP2 without first applying SP1?

• yes, service packs are cumulative.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• I see on the Microssoft KB site that "SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 contains the hotfixes that were included in Cumulative Update 1 through Cumulative Update 5 for SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1)." However, I also see that there cumulative updates 6, 7, and 8. Will I need to apply those?

• That is up to you. Personally, unless the CU addresses a problem that I need to resolve, I don;t apply them. CU's do not (or at least didn't in the past) got through as rigorous testing as the service packs.

There are others out there that will tell you you should apply CU's as they are released.

In the end, the decision is yours, just be sure to test them in a test environment before you put them in production.

• having applied SP2 you certainly wouldn't apply CU6,7,8 for SP1, they wouldn't apply anyway as they are previous to SP2.

What MS do is bring out a CU1 for the latest service pack that contains the CUs not covered in that service pack. (SP1 CU6,7,and 8 in this case)

I would side with Lynn in not applying CUs unless I have an issue they resolve as MS do state they are not as thoroughly tested. Plenty of people do apply them though, especially on a brand new system as they then have the opportunity to thoroughly test in their environment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply