Service Pack Woes

• I've installed SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 1 into two different machines, actually both desktops running the developer edition. Both times I had minor issues with Full-Text Search or some application not being shut down and setup needing to update those files. That alone was annoying since the setup program should have just shut things down or asked. Instead it gave a list of files that were in use and I had to figure out what to shut down.

I've had a few reports sent to me of people that successfully or unsuccessfully installed patches, but I linked to a blog which listed a few emails about SP1 experiences. One of those was someone who had installed SP1 on top of the SP1-CTP and it didn't seem to take. I got a message that this was stupid of someone installing the production release on top of the CTP.

I get that it's hard to write these installers. And I know it's pre-release software for testing, but this was a failing of the SQL Server 2005 testing process. To get good feedback from people, you need to ensure that they can easily install, uninstall, AND update their software. If I have to jump through hoops to get to the next version or the production version, then I am likely to skip testing.

And so are many other people.

I'm getting older and the computer is a tool to me. SQL Server installations should be painless and that means integrating the uninstall within setup. Or finding a way to update files, even if this means a completely rewritten installer, and upgrade from a beta/CTP/test/whatever version to the production version.

And this especially applies to service packs. Uninstalling SQL Server, reinstalling and attaching databases is not hard, but it's cumbersome. And it's unnecessary. All the work should be integrated into a few clicks of the mouse on the setup program.

Steve Jones

PS - Happy 5th Birthday to my daughter, Kendall!

• Steve,

I agree 100%.   I am putting off installing SP1 because I don't want to disrupt a working system.  And that's both bad and silly.

regards,  Alan

• I hit some problems installing SP1 a little while ago... It kept on failing on upgrading the database components... I found a link on a microsoft forum detailing the problem, but there was no fix posted at the time I had the problem... I had to uninstall and re-install SQL 2005 to rollback the partially installed SP, while microsoft addressed the problem...

The issue is apparently around the resource and master databases being in different locations, SQL 2005 SP1 installer assumes they are in the same place (the default install directory) and if they are not because you specified a different location for you master database the SP1 install will fail...

A fix has been posted now, but I haven't tried it yet, still sitting on a base installation of SQL 2005, waiting to see if more issues come up and what the fix could be....

The link to the forum discussion is

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/showpost.aspx?postid=384098&siteid=1

Link to the KB article detailing the fix

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;918695

Hope people find this useful

• Why is it that the guys in Redmond just keep getting farther and farther away from any sense that real people are using their products in real life situation. The computer was supposed to do the work for me, not me do the work for it. Your right about getting older ... we start to look at the computer as a tool, just like my cell phone. I dont care what's going on inside or how it gets in touch with your cell phone, I just want you to be there on the other end when I dial your number. I dont want to go look in the FAQ at Verizon's website to find out why your aren't answering.

• I agree 100% as well Steve. I'd like to add that it's a case of de-evolution pure and simple. Remember the 'old days' (v4.21, v4.21a, v6.0, v6.5) when one did not dare upgrading to the next version until SP2 for that version had been GA for at least 3 months ...

If MS cannot remember 'history' they are forever destined to repeat it ...

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• It isn't just the service pack - SQL 2005, IMO, is an absolute mess.

While testing it I've run into problems with installation, ease of use with the Mgmt Studio, and especially performance.  I was hoping to get better performance - I have yet to see it. 

I like the way that the Mgmt Studio manages the query windows as well as everything else in one program, but everything else has been frustrating.

I love VS 2005 and have had no problems with that.  I wish that were the same with SQL

--   Rich

• just try to do an easy client install using a script when you have vs2005 installed with sqlexpress or when sqlexpress with its managementsuite is installed .....

There was a sign at the wall that this would be a cumbersome sp because it's writing it's log-files in c:\windows\HOTFIX ... 

When you check the logs, or follow the gui, it always mentiones HOTFIX when installing parts .....

This must be a quick and dirty install process ! Let's hope it's content is not ...

btw : Kendall ... Happy birthday !

You must have founded SSC like a beta forum with addons

and one forum just wasn't enough of chattering

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply