Service Pack

• I want to install latest service pack in my production SQL SERVER.

Current version: SQL 2005 9.00.1399.06 Standard edition

I want to avoid system reboot, we don't want any downtime for Production server.

• You need to restart, so should plan a maintenance window for your production server.

Have you tested by applying SP3 on your test or development servers? If not, then test it and you would be sure if it needs a restart or not and that the application is up and working as desired.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• The installer for the sp tells you what files need to be closed in order to prevent a reboot from being needed. However, from what I remember, SQL services do need to be stopped. Either way, a scheduled downtime for the upgrade should be planned if it is a production server.

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

• And to reiterate the point...

Applying Service Packs and patches can cause undesirable effects. Thus it is necessary to test the patches in non-production environments before rolling them to production. Once you have tested the install, then it is necessary to test the applications. Once that is done, then you can roll the patches/SPs to production. And this kind of activity is a maintenance type of activity and really should only be done during scheduled maintenance windows/approved outages.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Just to make sure you understand - the service pack shuts down and restarts services as it is upgrading to the newer version. Even if you get away with not having to actually restart (I've seen this happen at times, but restarted anyways), you will still suffer downtime when the services are restarted.

So - I would plan for the outage and downtime and make sure it is scheduled at a time when it will cause the least amount of interruption to operations.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply