service down???

• :w00t:am using SQL Server 2005 on culster server, when i installed SQL Server i used a domain group and a domain user, and every thing went good.

after a while i wanted to restart the SQL Service and the Agent service but they didnt started??

after so many tries the SQL service started but when i tried to strat the agnet it started for a second and shutdown again cosing the SQL service to stop.

i started the SQL service only with out the agnet and tryed to connect using windows user i get error SSPI, when checking the event log i found error SPN.

i stoped the sevice and changed the user to a domain administrator, but its not a good thing to do for ever.

after more investication i found out that the domain user i was using have no right to write SPN, shouldnt the installation gives it this right??? and what should i do to put things back to use domain user not domain administrator!!

and why the Agent service when failed to strat it makes the SQL service to stop two?

..>>..

MobashA

• There's a particular way to setup SPNs when using SQL Server with a domain service account. Try running the setspn utility as a domain administrator as follows:

[font="Courier New"]setspn -A MSSQLSvc/servername.domain.com:1433 DOMAIN\ServiceAccount

setspn -A MSSQLSvc/servername:1433 DOMAIN\ServiceAccount

[/font]

where servername.domain.com is the fully qualified domain name of your SQL Server virtual name, 1433 is the port SQL Server is listening on (if yours is different, put the correct port number in) and DOMAIN\ServiceAccount is the service account that you want SQL Server to run under. In the second command, do not use the FQDN, just the hostname.

Use [font="Courier New"]setspn -L DOMAIN\ServiceAccount[/font] to verify the SPNs have been created.

Change your service account using SQL Server Configuration Manager. Use Cluster Administrator to verify all clustered SQL services are running.

See BOL for more details on SQL Server Tools & clustering:

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/udb9/html/0ede5e46-6899-4996-b6c0-6680c99635d2.htm

Scott Duncan

MARCUS. Why dost thou laugh? It fits not with this hour.
    TITUS. Why, I have not another tear to shed;
    --Titus Andronicus, William Shakespeare

• and what about the agent, should i do the same for it, create its own SPN recored?.

is this case normal it shouldnt be right? i was very close to have a down time in our production server.

..>>..

MobashA

• It shouldn't need it. I have several servers that have different accounts for Server & Agent, and only the server service account has an SPN.

Scott Duncan

• so what caused the agent service from starting and making the server service to stop after trying to strat the agent too??

am trying to find out what happning but i cant, thier should be an explenation for this but i cant see it. any ideas.

..>>..

MobashA

• I have no answer for that. Not something I would waste too much time looking into. As long as you can get it working without band-aids (setting SPNs is something that should be done anyway, so not a band-aid) then get it done and move along.

Scott Duncan

• its look like i have to move on, i have no choice.

thanks man.

..>>..

MobashA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply