Service could not be started due to logon failure

• I am trying to do and unattended install of SQL Server 2005 multiple instances (X1, X2) on a W2K3 server and also install SP3.

In the automated installation script i created a user and also added it to the administrators group programatically. All the privileges seems to be in place.

SP3 fails installation and the logfile shows this message :

Service 'MSSQL$X1' could not be started. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services. The error code is (1069) The service did not start due to a logon failure

Can someone tell if i missed anything ?

• Go to Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Services. Right-click the Service Name and select Properties. Click the Log On tab. Retype the correct password. Start the the service.

Tanx 😀

• hi,

Try running the service with a domain account & make sure this domain account has sysadmin priveleges.

Have a nice day !!!

----------------------------------------------------------------
    **"There is only one difference between dream and aim. Dream requires Soundless sleep to see…Where as Aim Requires Sleepless Efforts to Achieve":-) **

• of course if i re-type password, it will work. But as this is an automated install, SP3 is trying to restart the service and it is failing to install. Infact, why the need for retyping the password ?

• Chandu,

Can you share with us your script for automated unattended installation?

BR,

Parthipan.S

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply