servers not having enough space

• I agree with Cath Trimble, You can take tlog backup to free up the log file space. Check on time to Temp DB and cleanup unnecessary data from the DB. In worst situation you may need to shrink the DB. but again before shrinking the DB also you need to have the Full and Tlog backup thenShrink the Log file and then Shrink the Data files.

"It is not a best practice that you can sheink the DB".

Manoj

MCP, MCTS (GDBA/EDA)

• Hi Manoj,

Thanks for posting the script. If I understand your instructions correctly, I should copy the printed statements generated in the messages tab and run that script in a query window, right?

The "fragmentation currently xx%" comments seem to be missing a "-". I'm also getting multiple errors parsing the query for "Incorrect syntax near 'GO'." Can you check the code?

Thanks,

Robert

• sql.sanya,

What benefit is the server giving to your business? If it is helping the business earn money, then the business needs to pay money to keeps its assets working.

It is right for a DBA to minimise expense. However, no DBA should take responsibility to run their systems below established best practice. The DBA should present the issues to management, and get them to either pay for the equipment needed or get management to sign to accept the risks of running a poor-quality service. If they refuse to do either tell them in writing what you are having to do to keep the thing working and this is contary to your advise. Or get a different job.

If you delete files that are essential and the database can no longer service the business the senior management should blame the person who accepted the risks of doing this, not the person who was forced to work with sub-standard equipment.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• EdVassie (7/11/2008)

sql.sanya,

What benefit is the server giving to your business? If it is helping the business earn money, then the business needs to pay money to keeps its assets working.

As usual, Ed is right on. In addition, if you cannot perform backups and you have system failure and CANNOT recover to anything remotely recent, the blame should not be yours if you don't have the resources to do them. Having said that, you most likely will take the fall for that situation. Can you backup to a remote server where disk is available? I know it's not recommended practice but it seems you're in a very tough spot. At least, if disaster strikes, you'd have some means of getting back online. Good luck.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply