Server Upgrade / Migration

• I'm wondering if anyone here can help me; we're considering performing a full upgrade from Server A to Server B. Both servers have SQL Server 2000 Standard installed and they have substantially different hardware.

We want to move the databases using backup/restore (to simulate a complete failure situation) to get all services back online. We also want to take advantage of a small downtime window by performing a final transaction log restoration onto the target server.

So far I haven't seen any problems, with all jobs, etc going across correctly with the restoration of msdb, distribution, model plus our user databases. All logins have been scripted which include their original SID's and passwords. (as it seems that we cannot restore the Master database at all)

I have noticed replication hasn't been enabled on one of the target server's databases.

I also haven't found any good articles regarding migrating servers. Could anyone help me out by pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks

Mark

• Both servers have the same name? If they are different, then you will have problems, with replication.

• I guess racosta is referring to the Database name instead of server name? Here is an Article on moving SQL to a new Server

http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/1479841

Shas3

• Yep, they'll both have the same name. In the event of disaster recovery I would plan for Server B to have the same name as Server A.

I just had a squiz at that article. It's good except the target server has quite a different logical drive layout.

Edited by - Mark_Holst on 06/25/2003 6:48:56 PM

• Regarding your point "it seems that we cannot restore the Master database at all", you can restore master when in single-user mode. However, that sort of restore needs to be carefully planned and needs t take into consideration that your SQL install and data directories may be different.

Cheers,
    - Mark

• Yep again, I attempted a single user mode restore and it went belly up because it didn't like the fact that the user database weren't where they were expected. The server refused to start so I decided to back out of that strategy.

I actually posted the same comments to the Microsoft partner newsgroups and their stance is don't even bother. Script everything. Certainly raises a few concerns regarding a quick and easy restore.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply