Server Status Icons

• Existing Servers in our local domain (NT Auth) appear in Management Studio with the green circle and arrow icon (indicating they are running).

Ditto the red icon for those that are not running.

New Servers I have built on a separate domain are accessable via IP and sql authentication. The icons are empty white circles however i.e I cannot quickly see their status.

Does anyone know how i fix this?

Is it a port that needs to be opened?

r

• the empty white circles mean you can connect to sql server but you don't have rights to stop,start, restart the windows service(s) for that instance

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• an excellent observation.

it's actually just highlighted a developer who has permissions she shouldn't 🙂

the sql authenticated user i am connecting with does have sysadmin priviledges, though doesnt have the coloured icons and cannot stop/start etc

maybe it only works with windows authentication 🙁

• its more to do with admin rights on the box, put yourself in the administrators group on the server and watch the little green arrows appear 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I have similar situation.

The problem is that the host with SQL Server has Windows Firewall configured. Ports 1434/UDP and the static ports associated with instances are opened in the firewall; sqlbrowser.exe and sqlservr.exe for each instance are approved in the firewall. However, when I remotely connect to the instances (even as a domain admin) the circles are empty. As I turn firewall off, the circles become with green arrow. Should I turn the firewall back on, the circles become empty again. Just for a test, database creation and deletion ran well.

The problem seems to be with a process that authenticates a user connected to an instance - it's blocked by the firewall. I tried to catch that process, but still unsuccessful.

Could you please advise? Thank you.

• VEB (12/24/2008)

I have similar situation.

The problem is that the host with SQL Server has Windows Firewall configured. Ports 1434/UDP and the static ports associated with instances are opened in the firewall; sqlbrowser.exe and sqlservr.exe for each instance are approved in the firewall. However, when I remotely connect to the instances (even as a domain admin) the circles are empty. As I turn firewall off, the circles become with green arrow. Should I turn the firewall back on, the circles become empty again. Just for a test, database creation and deletion ran well.

The problem seems to be with a process that authenticates a user connected to an instance - it's blocked by the firewall. I tried to catch that process, but still unsuccessful.

Could you please advise? Thank you.

cant say i have noticed this particular scenario before but the best way is to check the firewall logs to see if there are port blocks appearing in there. You could also try either wireshark and \or netstat to get an idea of what tcp\ip traffic is being used.

although iirc you'll need tcp1433 as well as the named instance ports

• Thank you for the prompt reply.

I surely used netstat and TCPview as well as firewall log to determine the process. All that I could find was that 1) this process uses RPC/DCOM; 2) this process runs under svchost.

The firewall configured to allow 135/TCP and configured with approved RPC/DCOM-aware applications, so that RPC/DCOM ports are being opened as necessary; this behaviour is proved by other RPC/DCOM-aware applications correctly working on the server. The problem is that the executable of the question process is not approved at the firewall; therefore, its RPC/DCOM-traffic is blocked, as seen in the firewall log.

TCPview and netstat show that svchost is listening on the port, which traffic is beign blocked at the firewall. However, svchost shouldn't be allowed at firewall; moreover, Windows Firewall (at least in WinSrv2003 R2 SP2) doesn't allow to add it as an approved application.

So, how to determine the process and how to allow its traffic at the firewall?

I highly appreciate your help.

• A small addition to the previous post.

Regarding port 1433. Would you please explain what you mean?

I have 2 instances configured on static non-standard ports. These ports are open at the firewall, as well as 1434/UDP.

Do you mean, port 1433/TCP must also be opened? If so, why?

Thank you.

• i seem to remember, initial contact is made over 1433 then the server passes back the details of the named instance(s) and its ports\IP address

• As far as I know, SQL Browser implements this functionality.

When a client needs a list of available SQL Server instances, it uses SQL Server Resolution Protocol on 1434/UDP to request available instances on the network. SQL Browser listens on 1434/UDP and replies with instance names and their ports. Then, the client uses this information to communicate with the instances. Hense, port 1433 doesn't seem to be needed.

Am I wrong?

• if the browser is running it does yes

• Perry Whittle (12/4/2008)

its more to do with admin rights on the box, put yourself in the administrators group on the server and watch the little green arrows appear 😉

Thanks Perry, been struggling with this on a new dev box, I asked for local admin and they said 'done' (but guess not).

All sorted now 🙂

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• To get little green triangle for running (or red for stopped) try opening up TCP Port 445 and possibly UDP Port 445.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Grasshopper,

You are correct. Port 1433 TCP is only used by the default instance. Incoming connections to any Named Instance will not access port 1433 TCP, but they will access 1434 UDP (SQL Browser) to inquire about the Named Instance specific port and then the specific port itself to access the Named Instance.

I just verified it.

• To agonzal2:

Thank you for confirmation.

By the way, Grasshopper isn't my name, it's just status on the forum. 🙂

To rudy komacsar:

TCP/445 was initially opened, it's File and Print Sharing.

I added UDP/445 as you recommended, but it didn't help, result was the same - empty circle; only turning firewall off allows green triangle to appear.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply