Server Migration

• Dear Experts,

I have a scenario like, migrating the servers from one location to another. Its only a Physical server migration, here the IP address of every server will be changed.

Servers : DB, Application, SharePoint.

Query:

Can anyone guide to me to have a checklist for this migration. Anyone faced this situation.

My criteria is to prepare a checklist and to change them accordingly as per the the list. i need painful areas on all the servers.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- Win

Cheers,
    - Win.

" Have a great day "

• Anytype of suggestions are appreciated.

Please post your comments.

Cheers,
    - Win.

" Have a great day "

• Since you are moving the physical box, then all you would have to be concerned with are the connection strings, if you use the IP Address in them. If you keep the same box name, then there should not be anything that will change. The box itself does not know where on the planet it is sitting, nor does it make a difference.

There may be some network issues at the new location as far as routing, but that will be handled by the network group. A box can have a new IP address and no one will ever know the difference. If the name of the box needs to be changed, for some odd reason, then you will have to modify the connection string for the application.

Andrew SQLDBA

• I agree. If you're just moving the box, there's little you need to sweat on the server. But, you will need to validate that the clients aren't using IP & Port to connect to your server, but are instead using names. Otherwise, you'll see a lot of issues from them.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• On database server I would suggest you to take a snapshot of SQL Server registry values containing IP address of the server and verify these values after completion of your migration !!

all the best 🙂

• I'd also verify that your sp_configure and other settings are the same. I am assuming when you say physical migration that you are changing boxes? Or do you mean that the current physical servers are being moved to a new location or new IP?

• As other mention above, the connectivity to the new IP address is your biggest worry, and this of course includes the DNS records if not in an AD for internal network, firewall config, external DNS if any of the servers is accessed from the internet (all of which should be taken care of by your network folks).

• Thanks all .

Yes,

we are moving the boxes to new location where the servers will work with new IP.

I agree that IP address needs to be changed in Application level. I made some points with checklist and the locations to be changed (IP address)

apart from IP address changes in web.config file anyother place do i need to keep in mind to be noted on SQL BOXES, as its the main source of application 🙂

we have 12 applications connecting to 12 SQL Boxes. Thats the big worry for me, if missed any single area then everything will wont work i hope so.

Any more suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    - Win.

" Have a great day "

• Needless to say, and can't say enough and please don't mind me saying.

Please BACKUP all the databases and copy the backup files to an external media or hard drive prior to moving the servers.

• Thanks.

Planned to backup into tape drives and also Zero (mirrored) drives.

Application changes ?

Cheers,
    - Win.

" Have a great day "

• And on a move that big, test your backups. Simply backing up is not enough. You need to know that they work.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Excellent Point.

• Grant does have an excellent point. You need to test restore, or you should think about it, before moving.

In terms of application changes, it depends. If your applications depend on something that is changing (IPs, routes, etc), they might need to have something changed. Likely it's just connection strings.

• If they are web based applications, then you have to plan for your DNS changes as they take 24-72 hrs for IP propogation (depends on TTL of course).

Few more things I would like to add are:

Have backups of your IIS files.

Check if there are any file servers for your app's, exchange servers etc. take care of those changes.

As, you are going for a new servers check the new raid levels there and if possible change the raid levels to 10 (if not already).

Plan the placement of your database/log / tempdb files.

Pavan.

• Thanks for your valuable suggestions and points.

Iamaking a note of all the points as said above .

Yes backups tested wih T-SQL

RESTORE VERIFYONLY FROM DISK = 'D:\ApDB_260101.bak'

GO

RESTORE HEADERONLY FROM DISK = 'D:\AlDB_260101.bak'

GO

Cheers,
    - Win.

" Have a great day "

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply