Server Logins vs Database Users

• I've been tasked with documenting a number of databases that need to backed up and restored on a new server. My questions is if I document the Server Logins and the databases they are mapped to will that be sufficient enough info as far as the users and logins are concerned?

Once a server login is created and mapped to a database does it automatically become a user for that database or des a user need to be added as well under the database/users folder?

• If you are restoring a database the users wil be restored with the database

I would use sp_help_revlogin to create the SQL to create the logins on the new server, this will also document them.

If you then run the script produced by sp_help_revlogin on the new server the logins and database users will automatically tie up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• I went an extra step and wrote a script to bring the logins accross and maintain their internal SID values, tis meant when the database was restored I didn't have to "fix" them.

This is a chopped down version that doesn't include any private information:

SELECT Cmd = 'CREATE LOGIN ['

+ name

+ '] WITH PASSWORD = '

+ CONVERT( varchar(255), password_hash, 1 )

+ ' HASHED, SID = '

+ CONVERT( varchar(255), sid, 1 )

+ ', DEFAULT_DATABASE = ['

+ default_database_name

+ '], CHECK_EXPIRATION = '

+ CASE is_expiration_checked WHEN 1 THEN 'ON, ' ELSE 'OFF, ' END

+ 'CHECK_POLICY = '

+ CASE is_policy_checked WHEN 1 THEN 'ON;' ELSE 'OFF;' END

FROM sys.sql_logins

WHERE type = 'S'

AND name NOT IN ( 'sa', '##MS_PolicyTsqlExecutionLogin##' )

AND is_disabled = 0

UNION ALL

SELECT Cmd = 'CREATE LOGIN ['

+ name

+ '] FROM WINDOWS WITH DEFAULT_DATABASE = ['

+ default_database_name

+ ']; '

FROM sys.server_principals

WHERE type IN ( 'U', 'G' )

AND name NOT IN ( 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM', 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE', 'NT SERVICE\MSSQLSERVER',

'NT SERVICE\SQLSERVERAGENT' )

AND is_disabled = 0

GO

It does SQL Logins then Non-SQL Logins. We don't have to worry about the SIDs for domain accounts since the value stored is always the same no matter where in the domain you are..

CEWII

• Elliot, sp_help_revlogin maintains sids and passwords

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• My understanding was that it fixed the references internally. My process didn't require such adjustments, the SIDs were the same on both servers therefore when the restore occured I didn't have to do anything to line them back up. It also carried the passwords over without having to know that they were.

This worked GREAT for me..

YMMV..

CEWII

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply