Server load by Views

• I have views on my production server which uses following keywords.

1. Where clauses

2. Union ALL

3. PIVOT / UNPIVOT

4. switch CASe

5. BETWEEN

THese views are accessed by a dev team from a different server (dev server). I dont want to have the impact on my production server when running these views from remote server.

Can i allow views which use above keywords or ask them to create simple select views where in they can pull all the data into their server and do all DML stuff in their server by that they may not use my production server resources.

Please advise ther effeceint way.

thanks

• They should copy the production databases to their dev server and then use those. That's safer, too.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• That server do not have the capacity to copy all the databases, more over those databases are very big we can not afford to have a copu over there.

Also to let you know this team will only read the databases they dont write anything to the database.

• If they don't have separate versions of the databases, then I guess they'll have to continue to query the production databases in order to build/test anything.

That's a really bad idea, but if it's what you're stuck with, it's what you're stuck with.

Of course, dev/test databases with the same objects, but less data in the tables, are an option, but if you can't have copies on the dev server, then I guess that's not an option. It's also a bit of a pain to set up.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply