Server Aliases using Virtual IP's

• Hi,

I have 3 instances installed on 1 win2k3 machine. All test servers but are all used heavily with replication involved as well. All Sql is 2005 w/sp2. Basically, my question is more network related but effecting my users. How can the 2 named instances be permanently mapped using virtual ip's to be able to validate via name. For example, the 3 instances have the ip of 10.10.10.10 with the default instance using port 1433 as needed. The 2nd and 3rd instance using port 4711 and 4811 and the same ip. Lets say the 2nd instance is named "server1\server2" and the 3rd named "server1\server3". Our network team never worked with a situation like this but I have had network services at other clients do this for me quite often. What would be the correct method and steps involved in creating virtual ip's that would map lets say a virtual ip of 10.10.20.20 to "server2", meaning it would pick up the port as well and only use the instance name; and 10.10.20.21 to "server3"? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dave

• I would think it's doable, never done it

At times I create Alias in SQL Server Configuration Manager under the SQL Native Client Configuration

e.g. I can call it "Jerry" pointing to "server1\instance1"

But the application won't work with these?

server\instance1

server\instance2

server\MSSQLSERVER (default) instance

SQLServerNewbieMCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
  • Its not that the application wont work, I need the users to be able to connect to the server they are used to without having to connect to server\instancename. Also, having everyone set up an alias has also been outruled. I did it for myself but thats obvious, I cant really have several hundred people be asked to do the same much less troubleshoot when they make a mistake. Thanks for the reply though!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply