Serializability

• Hi,

Can anyone please make sense of this question being asked and explain. Thanks!

Which of the following (Sa, Sb, Sc, Sd) schedules is (conflict) serializable? The subscript for each database operation in a schedule denotes the transaction number for that operation. For each serializable schedule, determine the equivalent serial schedules. Sa: r1(x); r3(x); w1(x); r2(x); w3(x); Sb: r1(x); r3(x); w3(x); w1(x); r2(x); Sc: r3(x); r2(x); w3(x); r1(x); w1(x); Sd: r3(x); r2(x); r1(x); w3(x); w1(x);

• Homework? Test? Interview?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Good Call 🙂

Co-Workers homework question that I am embarrassed I did not have the answer to after working as a dba for 15 years but it got me interested in finding out the answer for myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Would you mind sharing the actual subject and context for the question?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • All he mentioned was that it was an IT Database analysis class. Does that help or should I ask for more info?

• He replied with it has to do with read/write conflicts and serializibility which I guess my explanation of isolation levels did not cover as well as it could have.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply