Selecting the earliest month wrapping January to December

• scott.pletcher (6/11/2010)

posted a very plausible case that broke your code.

Depends. I was answering the request to select only rows with a gap of 2 or less (i.e. exlude rows with max of >2). My code DOES that.

You all just fretted about:

"There's no year, we can't compare".

"How could 11 ever be before 1".

Of course there's no specific year specified -- it's EVERY year.

He wanted MaxVariance. That was part of the specification. Your code broke.

When I post code that has an issue and someone points out the issue I don't argue. I think Jeff has probably corrected me about 5 times in the last month and I actually hope he'll continue to do so because I keep learning from it.

└> bt

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

>> but when you post junior level code (non-SARG-able queries anyone?) <<

Yes, I took the short-cut, because as *I* pointed out the code will result in full scan anyway.

When Lynn posted *exactly* the same comment about the scan *after* I did, you praised her for it.

You're just upset that I out-did you several times. Geez, get over it.

I've been reading this site a long time and only started posting fairly recently, but it is clear from your comments that you haven't been here long. People trying to post help here don't get upset about other people's solutions or help. They don't spend all their time trying to "out-do" each other. That's one of the reasons I love this site so much, people just help and take suggestions well. You spent a lot of time at "Experts Exchange", you said. That site is full of pissing contests and trying to out-do each other, and competing for points for giving the correct answer, so I can understand why you may have this attitude. You don't earn points like that here. If you're certain you're right, prove it. Show that Jeff's problem can never occur, otherwise you're just showing that all MVPs are not created equal.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• From the original q:

The idea is to find the earliest month value from the list of values per person only when the max variance is <= 2 taking into consideration a 12 month wrap

Scott Pletcher, SQL Server MVP 2008-2010

• When I get a chance, I will write code to calc the variance of *any* set of numbers.

At any rate, what solution did *you* provide? NONE. All you could do was make up excuses about the q being "wrong"!

>> but when you post junior level code (non-SARG-able queries anyone?) <<

Yes, I took the short-cut, because as *I* pointed out the code will result in full scan anyway.

When Lynn posted *exactly* the same comment about the scan *after* I did, you praised her for it.

You're just upset that I out-did you several times. Geez, get over it.

The only reason I'm upset is because I think you're a tool who is misleading people who are trying to learn SQL.

For example, you proposed a solution that included a CASE in a WHERE clause in that other thread and I called you on it. It's amateur coding because it makes it non-SARG-able. Your response was that it didn't matter because the query would result in a scan no matter how it was done. I pointed out how you were wrong and gave a specific example that resulted in a seek. This is just one example.

└> bt

When I get a chance, I will write code to calc the variance of *any* set of numbers.

At any rate, what solution did *you* provide? NONE. All you could do was make up excuses about the q being "wrong"!

Page 3. Post 5. It will work with any months as long as the last month isn't more than 5 months after the first month. That would be an assumption though, unreliable at best.

Good day though. Have some real work to do now here on the farm.

└> bt

• How about this? We let each person view the code and decide which they like better? Fair enough?

Mine:

SELECT

PersonId,

CASE WHEN NextCalMth < 99 THEN NextCalMth ELSE MinMonth END AS NextMonth,

CASE WHEN MinMonthOct = 99 THEN CAST(MaxMonth AS tinyint) - CAST(MinMonth AS tinyint)

ELSE (12 - CAST(MinMonthOct AS tinyint)) + CAST(MaxMonthPreOct AS tinyint) END

AS [Variance]

FROM (

SELECT

PersonID,

MIN(CASE WHEN [Month] >= MONTH(GETDATE()) THEN [Month] ELSE 99 END) AS NextCalMth,

MAX([Month]) AS MaxMonth,

MIN([Month]) AS MinMonth,

MIN(CASE WHEN [Month] >= 10 THEN [Month] ELSE 99 END) AS MinMonthOct,

MAX(CASE WHEN [Month] >= 10 THEN 0 ELSE [Month] END) AS MaxMonthPreOct

FROM @Sample

GROUP BY PersonID

) AS derived

WHERE

CASE WHEN MinMonthOct = 99 THEN CAST(MaxMonth AS tinyint) - CAST(MinMonth AS tinyint)

<= 2

Or yours:

with cteSample(PersonID, MonthNum)

as

(

select PersonID,

CAST([Month] as Int)

from @Sample

),

cteSampleRefine(PersonID, MonthNum, MonthDiff)

as

(

select cs1.PersonID,

cs1.MonthNum,

MonthDiff = case

when cs1.MonthNum > cs2.MonthNum then cs1.MonthNum - cs2.MonthNum

else cs1.MonthNum + 12 - cs2.MonthNum

end

from cteSample cs1

join cteSample cs2

on cs1.PersonID = cs2.PersonID

and cs1.MonthNum <> cs2.MonthNum

),

cteSampleRefine2(PersonID, MonthNum, DiffOrder)

as

(

select PersonID,

MonthNum,

ROW_NUMBER() OVER(PARTITION BY PersonID ORDER BY MonthDiff DESC)

from cteSampleRefine

),

cteFinal(PersonID, LastMonth, FirstMonth)

as

(

select csf.PersonID,

LastMonth = case

when csf.MonthNum = (select MIN(sq.MonthNum) from cteSample sq where sq.PersonID = csf.PersonID)

then (select MAX(sq.MonthNum) from cteSample sq where sq.PersonID = csf.PersonID)

else (select max(sq.MonthNum) from cteSample sq where sq.PersonID = csf.PersonID and sq.MonthNum < csf.MonthNum)

end,

csf.MonthNum as 'First Month'

from cteSampleRefine2 csf

where csf.DiffOrder = 1

),

cteSuperFinal(PersonID, MaxVariance, EarliestMonth)

as

(

select PersonID,

MaxVariance = case

when FirstMonth > LastMonth then LastMonth + 12 - FirstMonth

else LastMonth - FirstMonth

end,

EarliestMonth = FirstMonth

from cteFinal

)

select PersonID,

MaxVariance,

EarliestMonth = case

when MaxVariance > 2 then null

else EarliestMonth

end

from cteSuperFinal

Just as a side note: Lynn (Pettis) is male, not female...

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Hmm, it would be helpful if someone could re-point me to the data that my code fails on. I don't see the bug, so sample data would help me correct it.

PLEASE IGNORE -- I WENT BACK AND FOUND IT.

• >> It will work with any months as long as the last month isn't more than 5 months after the first month. That would be an assumption though, unreliable at best. <<

But only months '11', '12', and '01' will work correctly?

• If there can be gaps in the months, and it appears from your test data there can be, I think you will need to resort to a scalar function to calc the "max variance". It's just too complex to do on each row in set-based SQL.

Assuming no month repeats -- and it really shouldn't -- you can create one value that identifies every month in the input, like so:

SUM(POWER(2, CAST([Month] AS TINYINT))) AS Months,

Then pass that value into a scalar function in the outer query to determine the max variance. The scalar function will of course allow you to use loops, IFs, etc., to arrive at the shortest max variance.

For example:

SELECT

PersonId,

dbo.CalcMaxVariance(Months) AS MaxVariance,

CASE WHEN

> 2 THEN NULL ELSE

CASE WHEN NextCalMth < 99 THEN CAST(NextCalMth AS tinyint) ELSE CAST(MinMonth AS tinyint) END END

AS NextMonth

FROM (

SELECT

PersonID,

SUM(POWER(2, CAST([Month] AS TINYINT))) AS Months,

MIN(CASE WHEN [Month] >= MONTH(GETDATE()) THEN [Month] ELSE 99 END) AS NextCalMth,

MAX([Month]) AS MaxMonth,

MIN([Month]) AS MinMonth,

MIN(CASE WHEN [Month] BETWEEN 7 AND 9 THEN [Month] ELSE 99 END) AS Min3rdQtrMth,

MIN(CASE WHEN [Month] >= 10 THEN [Month] ELSE 99 END) AS MinMonthOct,

MAX(CASE WHEN [Month] >= 10 THEN 0 ELSE [Month] END) AS MaxMonthPreOct

FROM @Sample

GROUP BY PersonID

) AS derived

Then "all" we have to do is write a CalcMaxVariance function that works correctly 🙂 .

• Ok, thought about it some more: I think below is a 100% reliable way of finding the next month. This code also can handle duplicate months in the original input.

To complete the request, still have to write the function to take the Months string and figure out the Max Variance though.

Will need the original requestor to spell out specific rules on that to be truly accurate, since many variations are possible.

SELECT

PersonId,

Jan + Feb + Mar + Apr + May + Jun + Jul + Aug + Sep + Oct + Nov + Dec AS Months,

ExpiratnMth,

--dbo.CalcMaxVariance(Months) AS MaxVariance,

REPLACE(RIGHT('0' + CAST(CHARINDEX('1', REPLICATE(

Jan + Feb + Mar + Apr + May + Jun + Jul + Aug + Sep + Oct + Nov + Dec

, 2), ExpiratnMth) % 12 AS VARCHAR(2)), 2), '00', '12') --or ExpiratnMth + 1 depending on your bus. rule

AS NextMonth

FROM (

SELECT

PersonID,

MAX(CASE WHEN [Month] = '01' THEN '1' ELSE '0' END) AS Jan,

MAX(CASE WHEN [Month] = '02' THEN '1' ELSE '0' END) AS Feb,

MAX(CASE WHEN [Month] = '03' THEN '1' ELSE '0' END) AS Mar,

MAX(CASE WHEN [Month] = '04' THEN '1' ELSE '0' END) AS Apr,

MAX(CASE WHEN [Month] = '05' THEN '1' ELSE '0' END) AS May,

MAX(CASE WHEN [Month] = '06' THEN '1' ELSE '0' END) AS Jun,

MAX(CASE WHEN [Month] = '07' THEN '1' ELSE '0' END) AS Jul,

MAX(CASE WHEN [Month] = '08' THEN '1' ELSE '0' END) AS Aug,

MAX(CASE WHEN [Month] = '09' THEN '1' ELSE '0' END) AS Sep,

MAX(CASE WHEN [Month] = '10' THEN '1' ELSE '0' END) AS Oct,

MAX(CASE WHEN [Month] = '11' THEN '1' ELSE '0' END) AS Nov,

MAX(CASE WHEN [Month] = '12' THEN '1' ELSE '0' END) AS Dec

FROM @Sample

GROUP BY PersonID

) AS derived

--Just to show the results for every expiration month

CROSS JOIN (

SELECT 1 AS ExpiratnMth UNION ALL SELECT 2 UNION ALL SELECT 3 UNION ALL SELECT 4 UNION ALL

SELECT 5 UNION ALL SELECT 6 UNION ALL SELECT 7 UNION ALL SELECT 8 UNION ALL

SELECT 9 UNION ALL SELECT 10 UNION ALL SELECT 11 UNION ALL

SELECT 12

) AS ExpiratnMths

ORDER BY PersonID, ExpiratnMth

I'll also add what I said before. The data is being inserted in the order of 09, 11, 01 and everyone is just getting lucky with the "sorted" order. It could change without warning to be 01, 09, 11 because there's nothing in the data to force the sort order.

That's irrelevant.

The "order" is "in order" *after* the expiration date. The order of the rows is completely irrelevant. There's no "luck" involved in my solution. It does NOT require ANY order to the incoming rows. MIN() and MAX() don't care what order the input is in, right!?

That may be a good point. I'll have to check it out.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• As a side bar, this thread has taken a bit of a turn for the worse. Everybody be nice, eh?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I'm trying to avoid passing thru the original input table, or parts of it, multiple times.

Hopefully the last version is understandable enough while still holding the full passes of the original table to just one.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply