Selecting parts of a string

• Thanks for the great feedback, Kenneth.  Yep... I know the double barreled last names need some help but James insists that they will all be hyphenated... I sure hope he's right about that because, as you said, the code I posted just won't get through double-barreled last names without the hyphens...

David, you're having way to much fun and it's always a pleasure to read your posts.  Yep, your code would be the correct way to do this without a doubt... except James said that his RDBMS doesn't have a REVERSE function.  I, thankfully, have no such limitation and appreciate the idea you just gave me for a slightly different problem that I think I can greatly improve the performance on even in the presence of a Tally table.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Was just thinking of the fact that in the end, these kind of 'name-splittings' never turn out to be as clean and simple as one first thinks. It's not the base format that's hard to do, it's when you start looking on the different anomalies from the 'standard' that things tend to get a bit messy. 'oh, must add something to care of that.. and that... oh and here's and odd one as well'.. Doing it all at once can produce some pretty 'creative' code

/Kenneth

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply