select top N records

• Hi,

i am working on sql 2000

when i run below query

declare @n int

set @n=10

select top @n * from emp_detail

where id not in(select top @n id from emp_detail order by id desc)

order by id desc

it gives me error

Server: Msg 170, Level 15, State 1, Line 3

Line 3: Incorrect syntax near '@n'.

Server: Msg 170, Level 15, State 1, Line 4

Line 4: Incorrect syntax near '@n'.

and same if i do for delete it gives same error

can some one please help me in this

• Hi Sandy

You're missing the parentheses around the variable:

select top (@n) * from emp_detail

Cheers

ChrisM

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Actually SQL 2000 does not allow you to paramaterize the TOP clause of a SELECT statement. You need to be running at least SQL 2005 for this, in which case your syntax would work fine.

Also, the parentheses are not required for SELECT statements, but is not recomended by Microsoft as a best practice according to Books Online for SQL 2005/2008. Parentheses are required for INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189463(SQL.90).aspx - SQL 2005

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189463.aspx - SQL 2008

• tnolan (4/7/2009)

Actually SQL 2000 does not allow you to paramaterize the TOP clause of a SELECT statement. You need to be running at least SQL 2005 for this, in which case your syntax would work fine.

Yes that's correct - and this is a SQL2k5 forum section

tnolan (4/7/2009)

Also, the parentheses are not required for SELECT statements, but is not recomended by Microsoft as a best practice according to Books Online for SQL 2005/2008. Parentheses are required for INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE.

The parens are required for SELECT in SQL2k8.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Agreed, wrong section.

For SQL2008 support for parenthesis though...

SQL 2008 BOL for TOP - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189463.aspx

Parentheses that delimit expression in TOP is required in INSERT, UPDATE, MERGE, and DELETE statements. For backward compatibility, TOP expression without parentheses in SELECT statements is supported, but we do not recommend this.

• tnolan (4/7/2009)

Agreed, wrong section.

For SQL2008 support for parenthesis though...

SQL 2008 BOL for TOP - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189463.aspx

Parentheses that delimit expression in TOP is required in INSERT, UPDATE, MERGE, and DELETE statements. For backward compatibility, TOP expression without parentheses in SELECT statements is supported, but we do not recommend this.

That's amusing... here's my version:

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Complete (expires in 70 days)10.0.1600.22 ((SQL_PreRelease).080709-1414 )

Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools2007.0100.1600.022 ((SQL_PreRelease).080709-1414 )

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840)

Microsoft MSXML3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0

Microsoft Internet Explorer7.0.6001.18000

Microsoft .NET Framework2.0.50727.3074

Operating System6.0.6001

Here's the code:

DROP table #testMAX

create table #testMAX (col1 int, col2 int, col3 int)

insert into #testMAX (col1, col2, col3)

SELECT 5, 1, 1 UNION ALL

SELECT 4, 2, 2 UNION ALL

SELECT 3, 3, 5 UNION ALL

SELECT 2, 4, 4 UNION ALL

SELECT 1, 5, 3

declare @top int

set @top = 2

select top (@top) * from #testMAX order by col1

-- returns 2 rows

select top @top * from #testMAX order by col1

-- Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 1 Incorrect syntax near '@top'.

But Sandy says above

Hi,

i am working on sql 2000

• yeah i agree that this is sql2k5 forum

but thought can get some clue for sql2k but didnt fine even after puttin parenthises

• That is pretty amusing. Apparently the QC process for BOL is not entirely thorough. 😉 Thanks for clearing that up though, good to know even BOL can't always be trusted.

• sandy (4/7/2009)

yeah i agree that this is sql2k5 forum

but thought can get some clue for sql2k but didnt fine even after puttin parenthises

Hi Sandy

If you are working with SQL2k then you could do this with dynamic SQL - but perhaps alternatives should be sought first? Can you provide a more complete description of the task you are working on?

@tnolan: No worries mate:cool:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply