SELECT short date

• I have a view set up for a daily import of invoices. Somewhere in my view, I need to indicate that that the date should be a short date (I think) before I use GROUP BY to insure all items on a single invoice get grouped, even if they were invoiced 1/10 of a second apart. Or is there a better way to do this?

"The grass is always greener over the septic tank." ~Leaf

• USE:

CONVERT(DATETIME, DATEDIFF(DAY, 0, GETDATE()))

to strip the time portion of the date.

Edited by - jpipes on 06/18/2003 12:20:51 PM

• here's just a different variation:

SELECT DATEADD(d, 0, DATEDIFF(DAY, 0, GETDATE()))
  • Perhaps I was not clear, let me post the code.

CREATE VIEW dbo.vwImport

AS

SELECT dbo.tblSHOrderItems.dteShipped, dbo.tblSHOrderItems.txtInvNum, dbo.tblSHOrderItems.txtSuffix, dbo.tblSHOrdHead.txtCustomerPO,

SUM(dbo.tblSHOrderItems.intQuantity * dbo.tblSHOrderItems.curPrice) AS subtotal, dbo.tblSHOrdHead.curTaxAmt, dbo.tblSHOrdHead.pk,

SUM(dbo.tblSHOrderItems.intQuantity * dbo.tblSHOrderItems.curPrice) + dbo.tblSHOrdHead.curTaxAmt + dbo.tblSHOrdHead.curFreight AS grandtotal,

dbo.tblSHOrdHead.curFreight, dbo.tblSHOrdHead.txtCustnum

FROM dbo.tblSHOrderItems INNER JOIN

dbo.tblSHOrdHead ON dbo.tblSHOrderItems.FKOrdHead = dbo.tblSHOrdHead.pk

GROUP BY dbo.tblSHOrderItems.dteShipped, dbo.tblSHOrderItems.txtInvNum, dbo.tblSHOrderItems.txtSuffix, dbo.tblSHOrdHead.txtCustomerPO,

dbo.tblSHOrdHead.pk, dbo.tblSHOrdHead.curTaxAmt, dbo.tblSHOrdHead.curFreight, dbo.tblSHOrdHead.txtCustnum

I need to extract a date that is there without the time indication so all items on an invoice are grouped together.

• Like I said, strip the time:

CREATE VIEW dbo.vwImport
    AS
    SELECT DATEADD(d, 0, DATEDIFF(DAY, 0, dbo.tblSHOrderItems.dteShipped)) AS dteShipped, dbo.tblSHOrderItems.txtInvNum, dbo.tblSHOrderItems.txtSuffix, dbo.tblSHOrdHead.txtCustomerPO,
    SUM(dbo.tblSHOrderItems.intQuantity * dbo.tblSHOrderItems.curPrice) AS subtotal, dbo.tblSHOrdHead.curTaxAmt, dbo.tblSHOrdHead.pk,
    SUM(dbo.tblSHOrderItems.intQuantity * dbo.tblSHOrderItems.curPrice) + dbo.tblSHOrdHead.curTaxAmt + dbo.tblSHOrdHead.curFreight AS grandtotal,
    dbo.tblSHOrdHead.curFreight, dbo.tblSHOrdHead.txtCustnum
    FROM dbo.tblSHOrderItems
    INNER JOIN dbo.tblSHOrdHead
    ON dbo.tblSHOrderItems.FKOrdHead = dbo.tblSHOrdHead.pk
    GROUP BY DATEADD(d, 0, DATEDIFF(DAY, 0, dbo.tblSHOrderItems.dteShipped)), dbo.tblSHOrderItems.txtInvNum, dbo.tblSHOrderItems.txtSuffix, dbo.tblSHOrdHead.txtCustomerPO,
    dbo.tblSHOrdHead.pk, dbo.tblSHOrdHead.curTaxAmt, dbo.tblSHOrdHead.curFreight, dbo.tblSHOrdHead.txtCustnum
  • Sorry, I didn't realize what the DATEDIFF was for. Thank you.

• another way is just to do a select

left(getdate(),12) - does return it as a varchar though

• quote:

another way is just to do a select

left(getdate(),12) - does return it as a varchar though

This is true, but might not work with all localized date formats, so check and be careful...

• Another way to do it is:

Convert(char(8),dteShipped,1)

This will convert the date to a mm/dd/yy format.

• but char(8) will not work if I'm using a mm/dd/yyyy format.

• If you want to convert it to a mm/dd/yyyy format then use:

Convert(char(10),dteShipped,101)

This will take the datetime field dteShipped and convert it to a char(10) field in style format 101 which is mm/dd/yyyy.

• If you're not working with a datetime field you'll have to cast as datetime first.

varchar output: Convert(varchar,cast(dteShipped as datetime),101)

datetime output: cast(Convert(varchar,cast(dteShipped as datetime),101) as datetime)

Signature is NULL

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply