Apple

what I get is

Apple

Ball

Center house

eggs

flower

what shall I do to get the results I want

• It looks like the only difference is the sequence. Is that correct? If so, you'll need to specify how you want it ordered, otherwise SQL just gives you whatever it comes up with.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• As GSquared said, See you have an Identity column it gives the order you entered until unless you specify what order you want result set.

EnjoY!

EnjoY!
  • GSquared (2/17/2010)

It looks like the only difference is the sequence. Is that correct? If so, you'll need to specify how you want it ordered, otherwise SQL just gives you whatever it comes up with.

could u suggest me how to change the order please

• You could add "ORDER BY MIN(Serial)" to your SELECT clause.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• lmu92 (2/17/2010)

You could add "ORDER BY MIN(Serial)" to your SELECT clause.

Serial --> is not included in my select

Select description from x

any other idea please

• ali.mahmoud.habib (2/17/2010)

lmu92 (2/17/2010)

any other idea please

You might not like it but I still recommend using the previous solution, since the order by column does not have to be included in your select statement to work. However, if you don't like it, you don't have to use it... 😉

Here's a s(i/a)mple (= simple sample):

DECLARE @t TABLE (id INT , val VARCHAR(10))

INSERT INTO @t

SELECT 1,'c' UNION ALL

SELECT 1,'c' UNION ALL

SELECT 2,'a'

SELECT val

FROM @t

GROUP BY val

ORDER BY MIN(id)

/* result set

val

c

a

*/

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• lmu92 (2/17/2010)

ali.mahmoud.habib (2/17/2010)

lmu92 (2/17/2010)

any other idea please

You might not like it but I still recommend using the previous solution, since the order by column does not have to be included in your select statement to work. However, if you don't like it, you don't have to use it... 😉

Here's a s(i/a)mple (= simple sample):

DECLARE @t TABLE (id INT , val VARCHAR(10))

INSERT INTO @t

SELECT 1,'c' UNION ALL

SELECT 1,'c' UNION ALL

SELECT 2,'a'

SELECT val

FROM @t

GROUP BY val

ORDER BY MIN(id)

/* result set

val

c

a

*/

It worked very well thanks a lot for the help

• Depending how your mind works, you might find this solution more intuitive:

-- Test table

CREATE TABLE #ReconRecord

(

serial TINYINT PRIMARY KEY,

amount FLOAT NOT NULL,

[type] VARCHAR(2) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL,

[description] NVARCHAR(50) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL

);

GO

-- Sample data

INSERT #ReconRecord (serial, amount, type, description) VALUES (1, 17612.69, 'CR', N'Center house');

INSERT #ReconRecord (serial, amount, type, description) VALUES (2, 17612.69, 'CR', N'Center house');

INSERT #ReconRecord (serial, amount, type, description) VALUES (3, 17612.69, 'CR', N'Center house');

INSERT #ReconRecord (serial, amount, type, description) VALUES (4, 17612.69, 'CR', N'Ball');

INSERT #ReconRecord (serial, amount, type, description) VALUES (5, 17612.69, 'CR', N'Eggs');

INSERT #ReconRecord (serial, amount, type, description) VALUES (6, 17612.69, 'CR', N'Flower');

INSERT #ReconRecord (serial, amount, type, description) VALUES (7, 17612.69, 'CR', N'Apple');

GO

-- This returns DISTINCT values for description, in serial number order

-- (the serial number used is the MINimum present for each DISTINCT)

SELECT RR1.description

FROM #ReconRecord RR1

WHERE RR1.serial =

(

SELECT MIN(RR2.serial)

FROM #ReconRecord RR2

WHERE RR2.description = RR1.description

)

ORDER BY

RR1.serial ASC;

GO

-- Tidy up

DROP TABLE #ReconRecord;

-- End script

Not better than Lutz's fine effort, just a different way of expressing the requirement.

(I confess I like this solution mostly because of the cool Segment + Top operator combination in the query plan)

Paul

• GT-897544 (2/17/2010)

As GSquared said, See you have an Identity column it gives the order you entered until unless you specify what order you want result set.

EnjoY!

If i understand you correctly this is wrong, If you want your result set in a specific order you have to use order by. Period. An identity column in no way represents the order that rows will be returned.

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Dave Ballantyne (2/18/2010)

GT-897544 (2/17/2010)

As GSquared said, See you have an Identity column it gives the order you entered until unless you specify what order you want result set.

If I understand you correctly this is wrong, If you want your result set in a specific order you have to use order by. Period. An identity column in no way represents the order that rows will be returned.

This is interesting. The numbers allocated to the identity column do reflect the order in which rows were added to the table, if the rows were added one at a time. Otherwise, the values in the identity column just reflect the order in which SQL Server happened to allocate those identity values.

That said, the fact that the column with the identity property ('Serial') forms the clustered index gives no guarantee of ordering - as any good SQL person should know. On the other hand, for such a small table, it is exceedingly unlikely that SQL Server would in fact return the rows in any other order, in this example. The counterpoint is that such behaviour is not in fact guaranteed.

If GT-897544 is aware of all that, it is possible that he or she was attempting to explain the apparent order that Ali reported in his original question. I propose to give GT-897544 the benefit of the doubt. A better-worded reply would have made that clearer though...

Technically, the idea that to guarantee ordering you must use an explicit ORDER BY clause on a SELECT statement is entirely correct - otherwise the query relies on behaviour which might appear to be reliable, but which could in fact change on the next run, or with the next product update.

I post this as a general comment - I know Dave is well aware of all that.

Paul

• That's not entirely true though, if you SET IDENTITY_INSERT ON, you can force identity values that are out of sequence:

CREATE TABLE #temp (iRow int identity(1,1),something char(1))

INSERT INTO #temp

SELECT 'a' UNION ALL

SELECT 'b' UNION ALL

SELECT 'c' UNION ALL

SELECT 'd'

SET IDENTITY_INSERT #temp ON

INSERT INTO #temp (iRow,something) VALUES (1,'e')

SET IDENTITY_INSERT #temp OFF

INSERT INTO #temp

SELECT 'f' UNION ALL

SELECT 'g' UNION ALL

SELECT 'h' UNION ALL

SELECT 'i'

SELECT * FROM #temp

**Edited to add additional rows after SET IDENTITY_INSERT ON used, to show that it does not affect the value of the next identity used.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (2/18/2010)

That's not entirely true though, if you SET IDENTITY_INSERT ON, you can force identity values that are out of sequence:

Interesting point - thanks for sharing.

• Also, in this case, using the serial number does not guarantee the order of flower and apple, since the serial is 6 for both records.

• Dan Guzman - Not the MVP (2/18/2010)

Also, in this case, using the serial number does not guarantee the order of flower and apple, since the serial is 6 for both records.

I took that to be an error on the OP's part - corrected in the solution I posted earlier, after Lutz's 🙂

Come to think of it, both the original post and my script defined a PRIMARY KEY on the IDENTITY column, so the duplicated sizes must be an error - and the particular IDENTITY_INSERT value jcrawf02 used would produce an error too. Yay!

edit: added link

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply