select clause into string variable

• greetings

given the following code, I'm able to store a fetched field into a variable, for later use:

use northwind

declare @Foo varchar(8000)

set @Foo = (select categoryname from categories where categoryid=1)

print @Foo

Now imagine I want to store, on a similar way, a different value, which has spaces in it... like in:

set @Foo = (select description from categories where categoryid=1)

print @Foo

(I get an error when I try this. I haven't been able to find out the way to quote the value)

Following the same line of thought, is there any way to do a "select *" into a varchar variable? or in a more politically correct way:

select 'val = ' <plus> categoryname <plus> ' desc = ' <plus> description from categories where categoryid=1

??

<plus> are 'plus' signs. something is taking them off the text...

thanks in advance

• try something like:

select @Foo=cast(description as varchar(8000)) from categories where categoryid=1

print @Foo

Gregory Larsen, DBA

If you looking for SQL Server Examples check out my website at http://www.geocities.com/sqlserverexamples

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

• your select statement re-written as follows should work :

select 'val = ' + categoryname + ' desc = ' + Convert(Varchar(100),description) from categories where categoryid=1

Since description is of type ntext you need to convert it to the proper datatype...

To put the results into a variable :

Declare @Foo varchar(8000)

SELECT @Foo = 'val = ' + categoryname + ' desc = ' + Convert(Varchar(100),description) from categories where categoryid=1

Print @Foo

p.s : The 'plus' signs might not appear in the "Preview" option during post but they will appear in the message after it has been posted...I faced the same problem... 🙂

Edited by - winash on 06/04/2003 11:09:24 AM

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply