Scripting (NOT X-FER''ING) logins in SQL 2005....

• We're in the process of converting our custom SQL "build" from SQL2000 to SQL2005 and I've come to a point where I'm a bit lost.  In SQL2000 we have a scheduled job that runs weekly on each SQL Server that scripts out all local logins, passwords, database & role memberships, etc.  This is very helpful for moving databases because we have it structured so that the password is scripted (for std. users) and we can then run the resultset on the destination SQL Server and not have to deal w/passwords. 

One of the key queries in this process is:

SELECT

sid, name, xstatus, password FROM master..sysxlogins

In trying to convert this capability to SQL2005, I see that there is no longer a sysxlogins table in master.  There is a sysxlgns table, but I can't seem to query it.  If I run "select * from master.sys.sysxlgns" I get:  Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Line 3

Invalid object name 'master.sys.sysxlgns'.

If I run sp_help in master, it clearly shows up as a system table.  Are we no longer allowed to query system tables in SQL2005?  If not, would anyone know where to get the data from the first query above.  A system database diagram for SQL2005 would be most helpful also.  I'm sure BOL has that, but I just haven't tracked it down yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advace,

Dave

• Hello,

I'm able to query the system table through the query provided by you.

SELECT sid, name, xstatus, password FROM master..sysxlogins

there is no need to prefix "sys"

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Lucky

• He was asking about another table. There is no 'o' or 'i' in the name and the ID of this object is 42 if you query sysobjects.

select

* from master.sys.sysxlgns

Dave, you can still query syslogins as Lucky says and also a view:

select

* from sys.sql_logins

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Since I posted this yesterday, I found that MS has already revamped this capability for SQL2005 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918992/.

Thanks for the responses!

Dave

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply