Script problems when db's offline

• I attached a query that runs fine when all of the databases on an instance are online, but when even a single database is offline, it errors out. I need some way to add at the beginning something like "if db = offline, skip". Is there anyway to make this work? Shouldn't there be a list of the DB's on the instance someplace and there state? If so, couldn't I just say run the script against the db's that are online? Any help is greatly appreciated.

----------------------------Begin Script-----------------------------

declare @dbname varchar(200)

declare @mSql1 varchar(8000)

DECLARE DBName_Cursor CURSOR FOR

select name

from master.dbo.sysdatabases

where name not in ('mssecurity','tempdb')

Order by name

OPEN DBName_Cursor

FETCH NEXT FROM DBName_Cursor INTO @dbname

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

Set @mSQL1 = ' Insert into [tempdb].[dbo].[DBROLES] ( DBName, UserName, db_owner, db_accessadmin,

db_securityadmin, db_ddladmin, db_datareader, db_datawriter,

db_denydatareader, db_denydatawriter )

SELECT '+''''+@dbName +''''+ ' as DBName ,UserName, '+char(13)+ '

Max(CASE RoleName WHEN ''db_owner'' THEN ''Yes'' ELSE ''No'' END) AS db_owner,

Max(CASE RoleName WHEN ''db_accessadmin '' THEN ''Yes'' ELSE ''No'' END) AS db_accessadmin ,

Max(CASE RoleName WHEN ''db_securityadmin'' THEN ''Yes'' ELSE ''No'' END) AS db_securityadmin,

Max(CASE RoleName WHEN ''db_ddladmin'' THEN ''Yes'' ELSE ''No'' END) AS db_ddladmin,

Max(CASE RoleName WHEN ''db_datareader'' THEN ''Yes'' ELSE ''No'' END) AS db_datareader,

Max(CASE RoleName WHEN ''db_datawriter'' THEN ''Yes'' ELSE ''No'' END) AS db_datawriter,

Max(CASE RoleName WHEN ''db_denydatareader'' THEN ''Yes'' ELSE ''No'' END) AS db_denydatareader,

Max(CASE RoleName WHEN ''db_denydatawriter'' THEN ''Yes'' ELSE ''No'' END) AS db_denydatawriter

from (

select b.name as USERName, c.name as RoleName

from ' + @dbName+'.dbo.sysmembers a '+char(13)+

' join '+ @dbName+'.dbo.sysusers b '+char(13)+

' on a.memberuid = b.uid join '+@dbName +'.dbo.sysusers c

on a.groupuid = c.uid )s

Group by USERName

order by UserName'

--Print @mSql1

Execute (@mSql1)

FETCH NEXT FROM DBName_Cursor INTO @dbname

END

CLOSE DBName_Cursor

DEALLOCATE DBName_Cursor

Go

----------------------------End Script-----------------------------

• select * from sys.databases where [state] = 0

Personal Motto: Why push the envelope when you can just open it?

If you follow the direction given HERE[/url] you'll likely increase the number and quality of responses you get to your question.

Jason L. Selburg
  • What do you mean that I can just open it? The script is run as part of a BI package that is designed to run on over 100 databases. Also, selecting from the sys.* is not an option as it is designed to run on SQL Server 2000 instances as well.

-Kyle

• Well, you never mentioned that it has to work on 2000 and 2005.

There may be a better way, but this works, as any database that isn't available will return a NULL version.

SELECT * FROM MASTER.dbo.sysdatabases WHERE version IS NULL

Oh, and the Envelope thing is my tag line, not directly related to your question.

Personal Motto: Why push the envelope when you can just open it?

If you follow the direction given HERE[/url] you'll likely increase the number and quality of responses you get to your question.

Jason L. Selburg
  • change the database cursor to:

select name

where name not in ('mssecurity','tempdb') and databasepropertyex(name,'Status') = 'ONLINE'

Order by name

* Noel

• The script is run as part of a BI package that is designed to run on over 100 databases. Also, selecting from the sys.* is not an option as it is designed to run on SQL Server 2000 instances as well.

-Kyle

• Kyle Schlapkohl (11/26/2007)

The script is run as part of a BI package that is designed to run on over 100 databases. Also, selecting from the sys.* is not an option as it is designed to run on SQL Server 2000 instances as well.

-Kyle

The script I posted runs VERY WELL on 2000 and 2005 😉

Cheers,

* Noel

• My mistake, sorry and thanks for the information. It is of great help.

-Kyle

• Happy to help 😀

* Noel

• Beautiful, the script works great. The final one looks like this...

select name

where name not in ('mssecurity','tempdb','master','model','msdb') and databasepropertyex(name,'Status') = 'ONLINE'

Order by name

The only change being to add master, model, and msdb to the things it is not supposed to get. Once again thanks for all of your help.

-Kyle

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply