Script Action To Job Not Enabled - SQL Server Agent is not showing in Sql Server Management Studio Program

• Hello everyone, i hope somebody can provide some assistance or guidance....

My objective is to Schedule a routine backup of the database in the SQL Server Management Studio Express console in SQL Server 2005. However, when I create the backup set and select the destination; the Script option is not enabled to allow me to schedule the job. It is grayed out and not enabled.

I have verified the SQL Server Agent is enabled and started in the Administrative Tools, Services. However, I don't see the SQL Server Agent present in the SQL Server Management Studio program when I connect to the local computer that hosts the database.

Any helpful tips on how to resolve this matter would be much appreciated....

Sincerely,

Andre'

• I have exactly the same problem and also can not find any answer

• SQL Express does not include SQL Agent. Are you sure the agent you see is from the Express instance? Any how the easiest way to schedule regular backups is using the Windows task scheduler and sqlcmd.exe.

You might also have a look at this utiility by Jasper Smith:

http://www.sqldbatips.com/showarticle.asp?ID=27

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• Thanks SSCrazy for the workaround, but it keeps bugging me.

First I used the Sql express 2000 version and there the SQL agent worked perfect.

Now I spend about 6000 euro for the Microsoft SQL Server Standard Edition (64-bit) version.

To manage this I use SQL Server Management Studio Express, but can not see the SQL Agent anymore.

It should be possible to create a script and with just one click put it in the SQL agent for scheduling at a later time (with script Action to Job).

Why is this function greyed ?

The service "SQL Agent" is running ....

Hope you can help me

• MSDE 2000 is different that SQL Server 2005 Express edition. MSDE DID have the agent present, but SQL 2005 Express does not. If you are using the express edition, you will have to use the workaround provided by Markus.

• If you have purchased the 2005 Standard Edition, then uninstall the Express Edition's Management Studio, and install the Standard Edition's Management Studio.

Tom

Tom Garth
    Vertical Solutions[/url]

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
  • Thanks Tom, You made my start of 2008 great.

You are right. I installed the free express version of studio management of my workstation and on the server.

After removing them and install the standard version, a lot of extra options become available. Also the SQL Server Agent.

Happy NewYear !

Rene

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply