Schema migration

• Hi SSIS gurus,

I need to automate a data import into a SQL Server 2005 instance from MySQL. One of the road blocks is automatic schema/tables/indexes/triggers creation.

What would be the best approach for this? I want to know if I have start coding SSIS components in VB or create stored procedures that will handle all that schema migration or php or...

Thanks,

• To get a base schema, I would suggest you find a tool already available. Migrating from MySQL to MSSQL is so common there are free tools available: http://3d2f.com/programs/9-213-convert-mysql-to-ms-sql-database-download.shtml

If you are trying to build a process that routinely copies data and schema changes, you have some bigger issues to deal with. Let me know if that is the case and I can give you some additional suggestions.

• Hm, yeah, I suspected that I'll get this kind of answer, which is not far from truth.

Basically, I have this approach, which I'm not sure it's correct. I have a huge list of databases in MySQL, where each db reflects 1 month of activity. I'm doing imports 1 to 1 in Sql Server and I'm following same data organization. The reason I'm doing this is because the SQL Server 2005 is a Standard license, not Enterprise, so it doesn't have any partitioning (not my call when it was to buy this sql server license).

Given it would've had partitioning, I would've got the right approach concerning the DW design, using the dimension-facts table. I feel already this is a waste of time... but so be it.

Therefore, in order to speed up the import, I need this automated tool or something that I'll have to write in VB or anything else. Thanks a lot in advance for the advice.

• Still no ideas at all?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply