Scalability Requirements

• I was just reading on the MS Site regarding SQL Server Enterprise edition. (attached below).

My question is - does it really make a difference on computers with 4GB? And what's the deal with SAN support, is there a difference? We are running Standard edition on a SAN without any issue that I can see?

Your comments would be helpful!

Mark

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/planning/ChoosEd.doc

Scalability Requirements

Whether for data warehousing or for a transactional system, Enterprise Edition scales best. It supports more memory (up to 64 gigabytes [GB]) and processors (up to 32) than Standard Edition. Use Enterprise Edition for improved scalability if you:

·Need more than four CPUs in the database server. For more information, see "Maximum Capacity Specification" in SQL Server Books Online.

·Need more than 2 GB of physical memory (RAM) in the database server.

·Will be dividing database workload across independent servers (that is, "scaling out").

·Are using System Area Networking (SAN) connection technologies between servers (for example, Compaq ServerNet II or Giganet cLAN).

• you can use sql standard on a san. if you don't need the extra stuff that enterprise provides like large memory or more proc's then stick with standard.

Wes

• I didn't realise that SQL Standard couldn't handle 2GB properly? I was always under the impression that it could easily address up to 4GB?

And what in particular regarding SAN's can Enterprise provide that Standard cannot?

• no more than 4gb of ram and 4 procs if I'm not mistaken. Enterprise also offers higher end clustering support up to 4 machines and indexed views other than that you don't need it. Windows allocates 2gb to the OS and 2gb to all other apps aka sql 2000 there is a 3gb switch that should free up another gig for sql to use under standard addition. No PAE or large memory support for sql standard. I think thats pretty much it.

Wes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply