SAN disk configuration

• I am in the process of configuring a new SAN for a SQL Server. I am going to use RAID 10 for all raid groups. I have enough drives to do the following:

Tempdb - 4 drive Raid 10

Logs - 4 drive Raid 10

Data – 12 drive Raid 10 (will contain the following files:

primary data file – 46% of all the IO on server

secondary file that contains all of the indexes – 33% of all the IO on server)

My question is, should I put the data and index file on the raid group with 12 drives or should I split up the 12 drives to make a 8 drive Raid 10 raid group for Data and 4 drive Raid 10 raid group for the Index file. Would it be better to have a majority of the IO on a 12 drive group(lots of spindles) or split it up the IO into two different raid groups so they don’t compete against each other.

I appreciate your input.

• Personally, if you're going to go through the effort of maintaining separate file groups, you need the separate physical spindles to get the true benefit from them for optimization. I would go with 8/4.

I'm not sure if two spindles alone (Raid 10, cut your spindle count in half) are worth separating like that though from a speed perspective. It might be worth RAID 5'ing that 4 spindle with the indexes for a higher spindle count, but that will depend on data volitility.

And if you can, as annoying as it is to setup, go RAID 0-1 (striped mirrors) instead of 10 (a mirrored stripe). You have a better chance of surviving a dual drive failure that way.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply