Salaries and Experience

• Rod at work (8/31/2010)

Over all, and generally speaking, I agree with your article, Steve. However, Dave Campbell, a good friend of mine, who is a developer and a MVP in Silverlight, has recently been terminated from his job. He's in his early 60's, and things for him, are not at all looking good at this point. He's blogged about it here. (I recommend reading both his article the blog post that Dave references at the top of his blog post.) I'm not as old as him, but am probably older than some on this forum. Reading things like this puts a chill down my back.

Rod,

I feel your friends pain. The fact is age discrimination in the IT industry is much more common than you might think. The problem is trying to prove it nowadays, particularly when most employers use "at will" employment agreements. Basically, they can get rid of you for any reason, thus masking the real reason they got rid of you in the first place. It's not right, but it is a fact of life the older we get in this industry. With health care costs for most companies nowadays going through the roof, it is easy to understand why older workers are being targeted. It's not right I agree, but in this day and age companies are more concerned about cutting costs and bottom lines, than loyalty to their long time older employess. 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• Presenting yourself well in an interview is important. If you can't sell your skills, or the benefits of having yourself as an employee, you are in trouble.

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/31/2010)

Presenting yourself well in an interview is important. If you can't sell your skills, or the benefits of having yourself as an employee, you are in trouble.

Agreed, those things are extremely important and you should always present yourself in the best possible light in an interview. Actually, that kind of goes without saying. However, in today's world there are a lot of other variables that are in play during an interview that could eliminate you and you may not even be aware of them, or ever find out what they were. It's not always about skill set and presentation in today's world. Brave new world out there in the dog-eat-dog world of business today!:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• It's critical to take into account the cost of living when comparing salaries in different geographic locations. That's often the reason for the apparently higher salary. However, making those comparisons aren't always easy.

• Location and job title can make a big difference in salary. Granted, different locations do carry different cost of living concerns, but they also carry a local supply & demand of the job market. If you are experienced enough to be qualified for a job that is difficult to fill you will get a better salary than if you are one of a dozen good candidates.

A couple of years ago I made a point to become more specialized in BI because I saw demand going up, and very few people with those specific skills. I also saw that in BI specifically that specific demand was very localized. I live in the Northeastern US and desired skill sets are different in many of the major cities. Where I live there is a high demand for BO & Cognos, and lower demand for SQL BI. Down in NY city there is a huge demand for SQL BI, and from what I can tell less for BO & Cognos. There are similar variations all over.

Back to the main point. If you have a lot of experience, consider redefining yourself a bit with regard to the job titles you search for. Try to spin your skills in a direction where the demand is growing but the supply of qualified people is not keeping up. Chances are good that you will end up with a higher salary.

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/31/2010)

2 years in college. Started in the UK, played a bit of 2nd row and then dropped to the "B" team so I could get out of there. Moved to (overly large) scrum half).

You need to visit the Southern Hemisphere to see how the game is really played <grin> GO ALL BLACKS!

Thanks for your editorials!

David

• Years on and I think that UK salaries in IT have stagnated since the early 2000s. Probably about the time when the so called Internet Bubble burst. I am seeing roles, both contract and permanent, at a rate lower than that time yet demanding more experience.

Generally I would think that you get what you pay for, however, there are those in a bind and may take what they can find. I for one cannot blame anyone for doing that. We all do what we must.

PS RU looking stronger in Europe now. The 6 Nations is looking far better than it did 5 years ago. The World Cup should be interesting.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Being ancient in the field, I see my energy level degrading.

• It seems the 'sell-by date' for IT workers gets lower and lower, yet I never see this pointed out to people starting out in the field. IT has that in common with the negotiable affection industry- you better move up to management by a certain age, or your income and job prospects will plummet- despite any updating and skill-building you do.

"Save as much money as you can, while you can" is good advice.

• paul.kemner (2/17/2015)

It seems the 'sell-by date' for IT workers gets lower and lower, yet I never see this pointed out to people starting out in the field. IT has that in common with the negotiable affection industry- you better move up to management by a certain age, or your income and job prospects will plummet- despite any updating and skill-building you do.

There is something that needs to be said about the loyalty to your job and your employer. You can have experience and skills galore and for a time you can be in demand, however if you are a gunslinger and you do not care who you burn, your days will grow short quickly, and demand will wain.

I am not saying you need to work 30+ years in the first job you have, but as many here have said, you do a good to great job for the employer and reach or exceed their expectations. Doing this your reputation will build and flourish along with your resume. If you only seek to more money and have no care about the employer, for they are just a step to the next higher paying job, you will rise quickly but fall soon.

Work hard, but also work wise.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Miles Neale (2/17/2015)

paul.kemner (2/17/2015)

It seems the 'sell-by date' for IT workers gets lower and lower, yet I never see this pointed out to people starting out in the field. IT has that in common with the negotiable affection industry- you better move up to management by a certain age, or your income and job prospects will plummet- despite any updating and skill-building you do.

There is something that needs to be said about the loyalty to your job and your employer. You can have experience and skills galore and for a time you can be in demand, however if you are a gunslinger and you do not care who you burn, your days will grow short quickly, and demand will wain.

I am not saying you need to work 30+ years in the first job you have, but as many here have said, you do a good to great job for the employer and reach or exceed their expectations. Doing this your reputation will build and flourish along with your resume. If you only seek to more money and have no care about the employer, for they are just a step to the next higher paying job, you will rise quickly but fall soon.

Miles, I take issue with one thing you said. I've seen someone who burns other people, but yet remains. They aren't quickly gotten rid of. What makes the difference is that they were truly expert at playing office politics. So a gunslinger can burn others and yet they can thrive, so long as they are able to play the game better than anyone else.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Rod at work (2/22/2015)

Miles Neale (2/17/2015)

paul.kemner (2/17/2015)

Miles, I take issue with one thing you said. I've seen someone who burns other people, but yet remains. They aren't quickly gotten rid of. What makes the difference is that they were truly expert at playing office politics. So a gunslinger can burn others and yet they can thrive, so long as they are able to play the game better than anyone else.

Unfortunately Rod's experience is not unique. Luckily for me I was a bystander. Shame I couldn't do anything more than keeping out of the firing line. I was much less worldly wise then but enough to not stick my nose in.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply