Sabbaticals

• Intel, one of my contracts along the way, apparently had an amazing sabbatical program for their researchers and technicians. You couldn't get it until you'd been there a long while, however. It was a free sabbatical, however, from what was described to me (I never saw official documentation, I was a contractor). Most of their staff STILL went out of their way to go do doctorials, or recharge by feeding kids in a jungle, or whatever. Just those kind of folks, at least the ones I spoke with.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/5/2011)

. . . they sometimes are referred to as a leave of absence, unpaid, and no guarantees that your job will be there. To date, I've had 3 people I know take them and come back to work with no issues. . . .

I guess it all comes to how much your employer trusts your judgment. I have been around for 40+ years (check my avatar) and still doing leading edge technologies, so when I told my employer that I needed to learn Azure, they listened. Call it a "workforce stabilization bonus." 🙂

• Sorry, I forgot to say it explicitly, my "sabbatical" to learn Azure was fully paid.

(If I could forfeit the point I am getting for this clarification, I would. 🙂 )

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply