Running DTS from Access on machine w/o SQL

• Hi:

My question is: can a DTS package be run from a machine that does not have SQL Server installed, but which has access to SQL Server.

I've developed an Access ADP that, among other things, imports data into a SQL Server database from DBF files.

On my development machine, which has a SQL Server installation, it runs just fine.

Upon moving the project to another machine, it fails to find a file when attempting to load the DTS package (saved as a local package).

The machine does not have SQL Server installed on it but it does have access to the SQL Server machine where the database and the package are located.

The message is

'System cannot find the file specified'

The code is:

Dim objPackage As Package

Set objPackage = CreateObject("DTS.Package")

With objPackage

.LoadFromSQLServer "sqlserver", "jkk", "jk98ghnP", , , , , "ImportDBFData"

.Execute

.UnInitialize

End With

All other SQL Server related tasks run just fine from this machine. Only the DTS import fails.

The same login is used from both the development and the problem machine.

It may be important to note that I'm trying to run the project on the problem machine using Windows Terminal Server. I don't think this should be a problem, but I don't know.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

JK

• It will work, but you have to have all the DTS dll's installed on the machine. Check the redistribution policy, but I think ok as long as you have licensed SQL. Alternative is instead of running the package directly, start a job on the server that runs it.

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Hello Andy:

Thank you. I had a feeling that was the case.

Thank you again.

JK

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply