Run SSIS package from VB.NET app

• I am developing an application that can be used to update data from other databases/files to a central database in SQL 2005. I have some SSIS packages written but I wish to call these from a VB.NET app that I can distribute to other users to run once they make modifications to their own small datasets.

It seems to create such an app one has to have the Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.Net namespace but I cannot seem to find this in my list of project references.

Is there something I am getting wrong??

ps anyone have code to call a package e.g. pckgX from a server srvrX?

Thanks

• Do you understand that the package will run from the machine that it is instantiated on? Do you also understand that this machine will have to be an SSIS server of the appropriate edition level to use the components you have used in your package?

Lots of people seem to make the mistake of assuming the package runs on the SSIS server it is stored on. It does not, it runs on the server or machine that runs the package.

You will probably have to create a service on the SSIS server, use the SQL Agent, or execute it from a stored procedure if you want to avoid having to license each workstation that runs your application as an SSIS Server.

• Thanks for the info. MAy I then assume that if I want to sidestep installing SSIS on each of the client machines, then creating an ASP.NET app would be the way forward given that this would reside on the server where SSIS and IIS are running?

Thanks

• Yes, if the web server you deploy the asp.Net application on is your SSIS Server or a server you can license SSIS on. You could also just do this piece as a web service and use a windows forms application that calls the web service.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply