Run SSIS Package from VB.Net 2008 program

• Have been creating packages for various purposes for several years. Love to work with them, they can do so much. However, now I need to run a package from a program that will be put on users' pc's. The code I originally used works great in development. See below:

Imports System.IO

Imports Microsoft.SqlServer

Imports Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime

Imports System.Data

Imports System.Data.SqlClient

Public Class Form1

Private Sub btnRunPkg_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnRunPkg.Click

Try

Dim app As New Application

Dim pkg As New Package

Dim pkgResults As DTSExecResult

app.PackagePassword = "temp"

pkg = app.LoadPackage("\\server\SSISPackages\myPkg.dtsx", Nothing)

pkgResults = pkg.Execute()

lblProgress.Text = pkgResults.ToString

Catch ex As Exception

MsgBox(ex.ToString)

End Try

End Sub

However, when put on a test pc like the users have it errors saying: "MS.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.DtsComException: An Integration Services class cannot be found." In essence it says to make sure Integration Services is installed on the computer running the application and to make sure it is 64 bit if the app is 64 bit. Is IS really needed on the client computer to run this package???? :w00t:

The cost of licensing prohibits that so how can I set it up so users can run this package with my vb.net program installed on their pc's?

• The short answer is - Yes, you do need to install SSIS on the client machine.

Your application needs to be able to load the SSIS binaries just the same as when it is trying to instantiate any other object from within your application. You can still load/run SSIS packages that are stored on another server (subject to permissions etc).

As for licensing - I can't answer that one. Maybe someone else can help out there.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply