Row Header groups in SSRS like Crystal Reports?!!

• Hello,

I have a lot of reports to migrate from Crystal Reports to SSRS. I know there will be differences int he product. But the fundamental parts of a report should be available in both products.

But Groups and Group Headers???!!

Crystal Reports has horizontal sections which cause data to repeat on each page without having to show the column that group header is based on.

page header -

group header - repeats on each page

group based on location

detail records

Employee Store Location Hire Date

This results in a great report as follows:

Location Report

===========================

Employee Store Hire Date

**** Chicago (repeats on every page)

John S. Desert Store 1/1/08

Susan F. Kitchen Ware 12/3/07

***** New York

Eddie F. Maintenance 6/6/09

Now I need to migrate the above report to SSRS.

1) I have put a table on the report.

2) I've added a row group on location

3) I've hidden the row group column to hide the location field from appearing to make the report look like a pivot table.

4) But I still need a "group header" row above the detail records that prints on each page as in the above example.

I hope I haven't insulted anyone by the way I've posed the question. I've tried to be clear on my intent.

If anyone has some suggestions, I would deeply appreciate it. I have a lot of reports to migrate. What are the proper steps to create the above sample report? What I have done so far is not working.

1) It looks great on the first page, but doesn't repeat.

2) I've checked the row group properties to repeat on each page.

3) But if I hide the row group column that seems to mess everything up.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

(Lord, I haven't even gotten to the count summary expressions to count records in a group!! One thing at a time.)

Things will work out.  Get back up, change some parameters and recode.

• Well, I ran the wizard. It produced the exact report that I was trying to create.

I then found some blogs on how to create a stepped layout rather than SSRS' usual blocked layout.

That was the trick. I've got it working perfectly now. I've got group rows, summarization expressions, etc. Excellent. I even found a microsoft site for those migrating from Crystal Reports to SSRS.

• For Crystal Reports to migrate to Reporting Services, you may try Crystal Migration Services. It can greatly reduce your conversion overheads.

http://www.crystalmigrater.com/Default.aspx

• Wow!! Thanks. And it says after I register, it is still free....

Now that is a help! If I can convert one, then I can use it as a template and also learn from the layout.

Thanks again.

• Can you please let me know the exact process , how you are able to achieve that.

I have the same problem as yours and I am not able to get the desired result using report wizard.

It would be of real help for me if you can explain the process step by step.

Thanks in advance.

• Crystal Migration Services can help you to convert your Crystal Reports to SSRS. Here is the site.

http://www.crystalmigrater.com/Default.aspx

Try this service and compare it with rpttordl, crystalconversions, and then you can make the right decision on which solution is best for you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply