round up the result int to next whole numberr

• I remeber there is function like this

11267/500=22.534 but I want the results show as 23.

If the result is bigger than the whole number, it will go into the resulted whole number +1

Do you think I need to write my own function ? Thx.

• Try this

DECLARE @a INT

DECLARE @b-2 INT

SELECT  @A = 11267

SELECT @B = 500

SELECT CASE @a%@B WHEN 0 THEN @a/@B ELSE (@A/@B)+1 END

• This functionality is built into Excel but not Access (which is where I assume you wish to use this).  However, using the magic of references we can still use everything from Excel in Access by doing the following:

Open the VBE (Alt+F11) and go to Tools, References.  In there tick Microsoft Excel 10.0 Object Library - the number may differ depending on what version of Office you're running (I'm running 2002) - then click OK.

Paste this function below into a module.

Function udfRoundUp(ByVal dblNumber As Double)

udfRoundUp = Excel.WorksheetFunction.RoundUp(dblNumber, 0) 

End Function

and you can then use that function anywhere within that database. 

To call it from within a query just do FieldName: fRound([fieldyouwanttoroundup])  or from within VBA the usual way.

The Excel.WorksheetFunction is a very handy namespace for calculations. There is also RoundDown available etc. 

• Just spotted a typo:

To call it from within a query just do FieldName: fRound([fieldyouwanttoroundup])  or from within VBA the usual way.

should've been:

To call it from within a query just do FieldName: udfRoundUp([fieldyouwanttoroundup])  or from within VBA the usual way.

Cheers

Carl

• I think there might be an easier way than adding references to Excel ...

Try something like this: 

x = 37.234

? ABS(INT(x * -1))

(Note: I don't use Access, but couldn't believe this wasn't possible, so I checked the help file.  The clue that you could do it this way came from the fact that Access actually has a FIX() function for negative numbers, which works differently from INT()).

>L<

• Hi,

Good suggestion however it'll round up anything using that method.. ie:

? ABS(INT(2.443 * -1))

• Ok - my bad - just noticed that my example using RoundUp function also rounds up anything

so in the function change it like the following and it will round up / down as required.

Function fRound(ByVal dblNumber As Double)
        fRound = Excel.WorksheetFunction.Round(dblNumber, 0)
    End Function

Cheers

Carl

• "However"?

I think that is exactly what the poster wanted??

>L<

• oooh my bad .   You're right   I obviously didn't read it closely enough

• My formula is: =nper(.07/12,-300,15000)

Exactly how do I round that up?

• My formula is: =nper(.07/12,-300,15000)

Exactly how do I round that up?

The result comes out to 59.287765, to round that up to 60 what would my formula look like? Please one at a time I'm a newbie! Make it as simple as possible for me to understand.

• Amount of help on a scale from 1-10:ZERO!

• Are you trying to do this in VBA in Access or SQL in Access?

Using SQL, there is a function called CEILING.

😎

• angusj4 (10/17/2008)

Amount of help on a scale from 1-10:ZERO!

I must say I have to congratulate you on pretty much ensuring you will not get any help. eight minutes posted and back with attitude which is essentially guaranteed to get you ignored.

Bravo!

Or - as you might say: TEN

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply