Roll-back to Saved DB Backup

• I am logged into the SQL 2005 Management Studio as Admin and have performed timely full backups of the db.

I want to roll back to a specific back-up. I select it on the Restore File and File Groups window reached by right-clicking the DB, and left-clicking TASKS | Restore | Files and File Groups.

When I want to roll back to the backup of 1 hour or 1 day ago I get the following error message:

"Restore failed for Server [name]. An error occurred while performing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. The tail of the log of the database has not been backed-up; Use BACKUP with NORECOVERY . . . .Use the WITH REPLACE OR STOPAT to just overwrite . . ."

I have searched the Help files. WHERE are these run from?

Alternatively, am I starting from the correct place: should I be selecting Restore | Database instead of Files and File Groups?

This is probably a simple function, but the answer is not apparent.

Thank you.

• SQL Server is trying to (potentially) save you from yourself 🙂 It's saying that you're going to overwrite a database that's in FULL recovery mode which hasn't had its log backed up.

To overcome this, you need to tick the box called (something like) "Force overwrite/restore of DB" at the top of the second tab of the database restore window. You might as well use database restore rather than saying "restore file or filegroups" - the latter will just complicate things.

If you were doing the SQL code directly then you'd specify WTIH REPLACE.

• Thank you.

I saw that function, but was not 100% clear as to what it did.

I will try it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply