RIP: Sir Terry Pratchett

• I know there's lots of SF/F readers here, I thought I should post the grim news.

He passed in his sleep at age 66 of a peculiar form of Alzheimer's. I had the privilege and honor of meeting him at a Tempe Discworld convention and getting his scribbled signature in a limited edition hardback of Good Omens. I think I have all of the fiction that he ever published and a goodly amount of his non-fiction.

He shall be sorely missed. Rowling may have sold more copies of Harry Potter, but Sir Pterry wrote over 40 books.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31858156

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• I'm reading the last new Sam Vimes book I'll ever read and I'm not happy about it.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Tell me about it. I picked up his book of things he'd written as a very young man, it came out earlier this year. They're sorta YA and children's stories, but quite fun and you feel a foreshadowing that this was the genesis of Discworld.

I've met a number of authors over the years: Fred Saberhagen, Harry Harrison, L. Sprague DeCamp and his wife. It always hits you hard when you lose one that you've met whose work you've loved.

*sigh*

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply