Reusing calculated columns

• I am quite new to this so forgive me if this is a simple question.

I am currently converting a database from access to sql server, in rewriting one of the queries I wish to use a calculated column again, is this at all possible.

For example

select [Due Date] - [+31b] as prodweekend, fn_somefunction(prodweekend) from [order details]

It will say prodweekend is an invalid column, is there anyway at all around this?

• Robert - your prodweekend is an alias...use the actual column names in your function - something like this...

select [Due Date] - [+31b] as prodweekend, fn_somefunction([Due Date] - [+31b]) as calcColumn from [order details]

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Or, to avoid replicating the expression (which is a potential cause of code maintenance issues down the road), use a derived table ...

SELECT prodweekend, fn_somefunction(prodweekend) as calccolumn

FROM

(

SELECT [Due Date] - [+31b] as prodweekend

FROM [order details]

) dt

• I have a string of 12 columns, each derived using the expression calculated in the last. Decided a trigger on insert will be the best way forward????

• Is there some reason not to use actual computed columns, instead of calculating in the select statement?

• Or use an SP instead of a trigger

* Noel

• Can't use computed columns as you can compute one column but then you can't derive another computed column from another computed column.

Wrote a trigger which if it worked would be excellent but it doesn't quite. (It is posted in the post titled trigger help)

If I were to use a stored procedure would I have to use a cursor to traverse my table?

• Can't use computed columns as you can compute one column but then you can't derive another computed column from another computed column.

Wrote a trigger which if it worked would be excellent but it doesn't quite. (It is posted in the post titled trigger help)

If I were to use a stored procedure would I have to use a cursor to traverse my table?

• You can always do this

alter table a

add cc1 as a * b

cc2 as a * b + c

Assuming that the formulas aren't too complex and that you won't have to update them down the road it shouldn't be a problem.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply