Return date only from getdate()

• Can someone help me with the syntax for returning the date only from getdate()?  In other words, the results I want is

2004-06-03 as opposed to 2004-06-03 09:47:12.097

I've been trying to figure out cast or convert, but I'm not having much success - or perhaps I'm simply going about this the wrong way?  Ultimately I really want yesterdays date (getdate()-1) but first I need to get rid of the time...

Thanks from a newbie...

Mary Elizabeth

• select convert(char(10), getdate()-1,121)

• Thank you Michel - the select statement you suggested gives me exactly what I asked for - the date. But apparently what I asked for and what I need are not the same thing...

The column in question is a datetime column, but I only care about the date.  I am trying to get a count of records that were created on a given date.

If I query like this:

WHERE [datetime] > '2004-06-02' AND [datetime] < '2004-06-03'

I get all the records created on June 2nd (45,037)

But if I query like this:

WHERE [datetime] LIKE convert(char(10), getdate()-1,121)

I get zero records returned.  Am I missing something? 

Thanks!

• Hmm.  Well the following query works, and returns all the records created yesterday... but I don't know if it's the most efficient way to do it...?

select count(*) from

WHERE [datetime] > convert(char(10), getdate()-1,121)

AND [datetime] < convert(char(10), getdate(),121)

• what is the [datetime] look like? You  may want to convert it.

select count(*) from table where convert(char(10),datetime,121)=convert(char(10),getdtate()-1,121)

• and what about using....

...WHERE convert(char(10), [datetime],121) LIKE convert(char(10), getdate()-1,121)

instead of...

...WHERE [datetime] LIKE convert(char(10), getdate()-1,121)

where, obviously, [datetime] is your fieldname

Ciao, Chiara

• For what it's worth, this is what I ended up with:

print 'Total number of incoming SMTP messages for ' + convert(char(10), getdate()-1,121)
    select count(*) from

WHERE convert(char(10), [datetime],121) LIKE convert(char(10), getdate()-1,121)

• Alternatively if you want to avoid the conversion to char

select count(*) from

WHERE

cast(floor(cast([datetime] as float)) as datetime) = cast(floor(cast(getdate() as float)) as datetime)

The above is faster than a char comparison, especially if you have large volumes of data

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Try where datediff(dd, [datetime], '2004-06-02' ) = 0

you can also add

[datetime] >=  '2004-06-02'

if you need to pick up an index on datetime

• We have found need to do this quite often so we capsulated the logic in a function. This was your code stays nice and concise and the logic can be as complicated as neccessary

Thanks Jeet

• Assuming you are using a view or procedure, you could also use something like the following:

declare @StartDate datetime

declare @StopDate datetime

set @StartDate = convert(char(10),Getdate()-1, 121)

--returns yesterday's date with time stamp = 00:00:00

set @StopDate = @StartDate + '23:59:59.999'

--returns yesterday's date with time stamp = 23:59:59.999, you can also use convert/getdate as above

--set @StopDate = convert(char(10), Getdate(), 121)     OR

--set @StopDate = @StartDate + 1

select Count(*) from Table where DateTimeColumn between @StartDate and @StopDate

• I don't like to waste an unnecessary function call when I use this so often I don't forget anyway:

SELECT CAST(CONVERT(VARCHAR(15),GETDATE(),101) AS DATETIME)AS "TruncAndCastDateTime"

GO

SELECT CAST(CONVERT(VARCHAR(15),GETDATE(),101) AS SMALLDATETIME)AS "TruncAndCastSmallDateTime"

GO

By the way, smalldatetime is half the size of datetime.  Saves a lot of space.  If you are truncing anyway, you don't need datetime.

[font="Courier New"]ZenDada[/font]

• FYI - when I need to counts by date on a DateTime field where the time value is populated, I just zero out the time value with

SELECT CAST(Convert(VarChar(8), GetDate(), 112) AS DateTime) ...

• Whoops -- I added my post without going to page two, and now I see that TnJMoseley posted the exact same thing...

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply