Rethinking Hiring

• Thank you Eric, that is encouraging to know.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• JustMarie (12/2/2015)

The laundry list of qualifications is also a peeve of mine. Especially when they want 5 years of experience in a product that came out 2 years ago. It shows they don't know what they want or they let HR write up the job listing.

Me too - those long lists are completely pointless.

Once I was interviewed for a job where I could only hit about half of the listed eequirements, and at the end of the interview the hiring manager told me he wouldn't offer me the job because I was vastly overqualified for it and didn't appear to be looking for an easy ride. He also said he had tried to get the HR people to delete a lot of non-requirements from the requirement list, because he thought it would result in him interviewing people like me, wasting both their time and his, but HR were too powerful and he couldn't win.

In the days when we had Personnel departments instead of Human Resource departments, and recruitment agencies were much less important than they are now we didn't see many of these nonsense laundry lists and personnel managers didn't usurp the hiring manager's functons in recruitment and we didn't have to filter vast quantitities of CVs sent in by agencies adopting a scattergun approach as a result of incompetence at filtering. We also knew that people could learn new skills and could be trained and that if we trained them and treated them decently they wouldn't hop away to a new job before we'd received any value from them - so for example the personnel people didn't complain when I hired people with degrees in music or chemistry or no degree at all as programmers. I suspect that the "Human Resource" title encourages unfortunate attitudes in the people doing that job.

Tom

• One of the best jobs had one of the absolute best job descriptions I've ever seen. Here's the whole thing as they wrote it.

"What we need is someone that can look at SQL, figure out what's wrong, and fix it."

That's it. That was the whole job description. I was there for over 4 years before they got froggy and decided to move the company to a different state.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (12/14/2015)

One of the best jobs had one of the absolute best job descriptions I've ever seen. Here's the whole thing as they wrote it.

"What we need is someone that can look at SQL, figure out what's wrong, and fix it."

That's it. That was the whole job description. I was there for over 4 years before they got froggy and decided to move the company to a different state.

I'm finding it hard for people to just hire for SQL Server in this past month. When they are, they can fill that limited position with a seasoned professional and they are good for the next 5 years or whatever.

Most of the gigs, especially the well paying ones that are likely to be open than waiting for Joe the DBA to quit his job are the ones where you have to know more than one technology and programming language. I would say out of the 20 reps that talked to me just this month for Q1 roles have all been just back-end developers who also depend on SQL Server knowledge, but who are not DBA's. It's a pretty common trend because hiring one guru for one piece of technology is not good for business.

When I look at my role, I am pretty much heading towards a data architect on paper now. But, I can easily be considered a back-end developer too. If I was just a DBA building and managing a data warehouse, my boss would likely not be as happy. So, sacrificing that guru status for just SQL Server is fine because I have much more value when I can do that plus Python development, visualization, Linux administration and more.

• I rarely see someone looking for just SQL Server dba's. But I have come across a few sometimes. Usually at big companies like financial institutions. Otherwise most companies I come across ask a lot for full stack developers. They want people who can do SQL Server work, SSIS , SSRS, .Net or other web based technology, web design, HTML, etc. Then on top of that you have to have 5 years or more experience in each of those areas. Very rarely do I see less that five years experience as a requirement.

Can be very daunting if you work/ed at a company that does not keep up with the trends, or your stuck in a DBA role.

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply