Restoring master to a different location

• I am trying to restore master to a new server but location of data and log files is different in this new server. The previous location was 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\" the current is in the C: Drive when trying to restore using MOVE:

RESTORE DATABASE master FROM DISK ='\\Pfileserver\sqlbackup\MDFfiles\master_db_200708170121.BAK' WITH RECOVERY ,

MOVE 'master' TO 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\data\master.mdf',

MOVE 'mastlog' TO 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\mastlog.ldf'

I get the following error message:

The system database cannot be moved by RESTORE

Is there a way you can restore master to a different location?

Thanks,

Carlos

• Hi Carlos,

Use the dettach function.

1. Make a backup of the database.
    2. In the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, open databases, highlight the database you wish to move.
    3. Right click - select Tasks - Detach...
    4. Once the database is dettached, copy the .DAT and .LOG files from your D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\ to your new location i.e. C:\...
    5. In Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio right click on the Databases folder and select Attach - press the Add button and select the .DAT file in the new c:\ path.
    6. The database will be restored pointing to the new C:\ drive

• If you want to move your master which is currently in D:\drive to C:\drive you need to perform as shown in the below link,

http://sql-articles.com/articles.php?pageNum_alltop=5&totalRows_alltop=35

just click on the topic "Moving system databases" you can see a detailed document of how to proceed........well i dont think you can perform as said by Kevin..........it will work perfectly for user db but not for system db.....for system db you need to stop sql services and move the path og masters ldf and mdf to a new location and go to sql server configuration manager and give the new path for mdf and ldf files in the startup parameters and then restart sql services..............

[font="Verdana"]- Deepak[/font]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply